Why become a member? ×

Adding an extension cab

drewm

I have a 1991 Trace Elliot 15" combo of slightly unclear spec, as no manual or record of the 715S model can be tracked down (see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73211"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=73211[/url] for the backstory). It's most likely 200W into 4 ohms.

The amp has two speaker outputs, labelled Minimum 4 ohms, into one of which is plugged the combo's internal 15". I'd like to add a 2x10 extension cab.

As there are two outputs and the minimum load is 4 ohms, my assumption is that in the internal speaker is 8 ohm and I can therefore add an extension cab at 8 ohm to produce a 4 ohm load.

Is that a sensible assumption? (And is my maths right?)

yes........as long as the combo is stock, you are correct in your thinking.

I would be thinking to add a 2x10 from TE, if it were me, from the same period of manufacture, in an ideal world.
But, if not, then demo the cab with the combo and see how you like it.

Edited by JTUK

I reckon you are on the mark. Adding another 8ohm enclosure should be fine. With the single connection its probably running under 200 watts. Personally I'd look for a 4x10 and push a little extra air.

Edited by Mog

Thanks guys.

My medium term plan is to get myself a lighter rig (the combo weighs 30kg - it's great, but solid!). My thought was a to add something like a Markbass 2x10 which I could use with my existing rig immediately, and then as funds allow, pick up a Little Mark III to use with the 2x10 independently.

Then further down the line I could move the combo on and add a 15" cab to my new rig. That'd give me a more flexible system with no component weighing more than perhaps 16/17kg.

I've never come across a TE combo with an output for an extension speaker that [b]wasn't[/b] 8ohms, mine certainly is. They are about 300W total output at 4ohms with the extension cab attached. I initially had a TE 4X10 extension with the 1X15 combo but it was a heavy rig to shift around. I've been using it for the last few years with an 8ohm SWR workingmans 2x10 that I picked up very reasonably on this forum, they seem to work well together. Still quite heavy though!

• 5 months later...

Hey, I see I'm late in this conversation, but do you guys know the dimensions of either the 210 cab or the 1153 1x15 cab? Just curious to know if it's a modular arrangement, size-wise, with the 715S combo. Not a real issue, but it would be fun if they could 'lock' together.

Edited by Count Bassie