Why become a member? ×

Stupid question...

Eight

This question probably makes me look even dumber (but hey, if you've been on this forum for a while then you've seen me make stupider posts)...

I'm currently using a Warwick Pro Fet 5.2 and a Barefaced Compact. The Fet is 500W @ 4ohm (so maybe around 300W into the 8ohm Compact). I often see posts about getting another 8ohm cab to get the most out of an amp... but if I did where would I plug it in???

The amp has a 1 x speakon (I think) port marked "500W@4ohm Min" and 1 x standard jack "Speaker" output. I'm probably misunderstanding but presumably you can't plug an 8ohm cab into the speakon???

So can this amp only take one cab then??? Or am I missing the vital piece of information all other bass players know? :)

[quote name='Eight' post='832121' date='May 9 2010, 12:53 PM']This question probably makes me look even dumber (but hey, if you've been on this forum for a while then you've seen me make stupider posts)...

I'm currently using a Warwick Pro Fet 5.2 and a Barefaced Compact. The Fet is 500W @ 4ohm (so maybe around 300W into the 8ohm Compact). I often see posts about getting another 8ohm cab to get the most out of an amp... but if I did where would I plug it in???

The amp has a 1 x speakon (I think) port marked "500W@4ohm Min" and 1 x standard jack "Speaker" output. I'm probably misunderstanding but presumably you can't plug an 8ohm cab into the speakon???

So can this amp only take one cab then??? Or am I missing the vital piece of information all other bass players know? :)[/quote]

Does it have one speakon and one normal jack for the speaker connection?

If so, plug one into each. You can also daisy chain although not from the Compact as it only has one speakon.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='832122' date='May 9 2010, 12:57 PM']Does it have one speakon and one normal jack for the speaker connection?

If so, plug one into each. You can also daisy chain although not from the Compact as it only has one speakon.[/quote]
Yep - one speakon and one normal. I'm currently plugged into the normal jack.

Am I having a blonde moment here (still a few strands of blonde left)...? If I says 4ohm min... does that mean I can or can't use an 8ohm cab with the speakon? I can never remember if 8ohms is greater or less than 4. Like I said, dumb question. :)

[quote name='Eight' post='832121' date='May 9 2010, 12:53 PM']This question probably makes me look even dumber (but hey, if you've been on this forum for a while then you've seen me make stupider posts)...

So can this amp only take one cab then??? Or am I missing the vital piece of information all other bass players know? :)[/quote]

Does the Compact not have a pair of speakons then? If so, daisy-chain from that, it'll be parallel. If not (why not? Grr) then just use the speaker out jack, it'll be parallel with the speakon and with an 8 ohm cab will give you 4 ohms total load. The amp doesn't care which way round you connect the speakers as long as it's a parallel connection it's electrically identical, the speakon is just a better socket design than a jack.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='832133' date='May 9 2010, 01:02 PM']Does the Compact not have a pair of speakons then? If so, daisy-chain from that, it'll be parallel. If not (why not? Grr) then just use the speaker out jack, it'll be parallel with the speakon and with an 8 ohm cab will give you 4 ohms total load. The amp doesn't care which way round you connect the speakers as long as it's a parallel connection it's electrically identical, the speakon is just a better socket design than a jack.[/quote]

+1

4 ohms minimum means your amp can power 1 x 4 ohm cabinet, or 2 x 8 ohm cabinets.

You may need some combo speaker cables (speakon/jack) like I use with the Orange and take to gigs where Im expecting an old cab with no speakons.

OBBM can sort you out very cheap for these and they are uber high quality.

Simply put:

you have 2 outputs, one jack and one speakon.

you can connect 2 8 ohm cab, one in easy output for your 4 ohm minium and maxium wattage.

Or one 8 ohm cab to either output for around half the wattage.

Or one 4 ohm cab for the maxium wattage.

If you want the maxium output with the compact you will need a another 8 ohm cab, connected via the speakon output. I presume you have a jack to speakon cable to connect your compact? If the cab you buy only has jack inputs then you will need the same kind of cable.

The type of output socket shouldn't effect anything. If your still stuck check the manual as some amps can be odd. If you don't have it Warwick should have it on their site as a adobe PDF file download.

A lot of amps do this, I know my old svt-3 pro had one speakon output an 2 jack socket output, with a minium load of 4 ohm. So I could either use one jack socket and the only speakon or both jack outputs.

Cheers guys. It's very much appreciated... without BC I'd be lost sometimes. :)

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='832169' date='May 9 2010, 01:36 PM']I presume you have a jack to speakon cable to connect your compact? If the cab you buy only has jack inputs then you will need the same kind of cable.[/quote]
Yep, I had to buy one when I was using the MAG300 which didn't have a speakon port. Because of my confusion, when I got the Pro Fet I just used the same setup.

[quote]If your still stuck check the manual as some amps can be odd. If you don't have it Warwick should have it on their site as a adobe PDF file download.[/quote]
I have the manual - it's not much help really. I think Warwick tend to assume that if you're buying their gear then you know what you're doing. As opposed to be a newb with more money than sense. :rolleyes:

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='832133' date='May 9 2010, 01:02 PM']Does the Compact not have a pair of speakons then? If so, daisy-chain from that, it'll be parallel. If not (why not? Grr) then just use the speaker out jack, it'll be parallel with the speakon and with an 8 ohm cab will give you 4 ohms total load. The amp doesn't care which way round you connect the speakers as long as it's a parallel connection it's electrically identical, the speakon is just a better socket design than a jack.[/quote]

Yes, the single speakon seems a little odd. Ways around it though I guess.