Why become a member? ×

Squier CV P Bass

Mykesbass

Have been gassing for a traditional bass - really wanted a fretless, but seeing what people have been saying about the CV's on here, thought I should check them out. Had just a small job in Brighton today so when I finished, I drove down to GAK (great having a Transit, parked in the loading bay under the watchful eye of 6 wardens and got away with it), to try them out.

Having thought I didn't like P Basses - tried a US one with the most enormous neck once, I wanted to try a P and a Jazz together. The quality was, as everyone has been saying, incredible. Checked a Vintage Mod, a Mexican and an Aerodyne and none of them had the same lovely feel that the CV's had. What's more, the P did it for me, so next week, once my Ebay buyer has collected, I'll be the most happily surprised owner of a Squier P Bass - something that before I'd come on here I never thought I would say!

The Squier Vintage Modified and Classic Vibe basses are indeed fantastic. I have played them back to back with MIM Fenders and find they do feel nicer to play. With the addition of some quality pickups you can have an awesome playing, sounding and looking bass for a lot less than a MIM Fender Standard P or J.

It's the same deal for the higher end squier guitars. They look sound and play a lot better than the MIM fender standards. I sold a mex standard tele to buy the squier tele custom 2, looks awesome and plays sweet. Happynesswas had. I've been thinking of getting the VMP with that humbucker.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='832095' date='May 9 2010, 12:31 PM']Ah but which model to go for?

I've got huge GAAAAS for one at the moment, and being a precision lover, I'm undecided between the CV 60's in Sonic blue and the CV 50's.[/quote]

50s CV or the Fiesta Red CV. :)

I would JUMP on the fiesta red, but I've got a fiesta red Road Worn coming for my birthday :)

Having said that, it's still the colour I like best. TBH I kinda love them all, there is something wicked about the CV '50's. I guess I'll try em all out.

[quote name='cameltoe' post='832103' date='May 9 2010, 12:37 PM']I would JUMP on the fiesta red, but I've got a fiesta red Road Worn coming for my birthday :rolleyes:

Having said that, it's still the colour I like best. TBH I kinda love them all, there is something wicked about the CV '50's. I guess I'll try em all out.[/quote]

Cool, Road Worn Jazz in Fiesta Red :) I dont normally like red on instruments, unless its that Fiesta Red with the right guard, and then I REALLY like it. How odd!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='832114' date='May 9 2010, 12:48 PM']Cool, Road Worn Jazz in Fiesta Red :) I dont normally like red on instruments, unless its that Fiesta Red with the right guard, and then I REALLY like it. How odd![/quote]

No, Road Worn [u]Precision[/u] in Fiesta Red.

Honestly, I was blown away by it. And I was determined not to want it, as I always thought the Road Worn range was overpriced.

I don't usually like red on instruments either, but for some reason I kinda like Fiesta red. I didn't actually like it at first, it grew on me big time.

The fiesta red CV precision looks badass with the rosewood board. I kinda like Sonic blue but it doesn't all come together as well as the Fiesta red.

This thread isn't helping- I'm now GASSING for a Fiesta red CV Precision. I guess it would be cool to have a little brother for the Road Worn!

[quote name='cameltoe' post='832126' date='May 9 2010, 12:59 PM']No, Road Worn [u]Precision[/u] in Fiesta Red.

Honestly, I was blown away by it. And I was determined not to want it, as I always thought the Road Worn range was overpriced.

I don't usually like red on instruments either, but for some reason I kinda like Fiesta red. I didn't actually like it at first, it grew on me big time.

The fiesta red CV precision looks badass with the rosewood board. I kinda like Sonic blue but it doesn't all come together as well as the Fiesta red.

This thread isn't helping- I'm now GASSING for a Fiesta red CV Precision. I guess it would be cool to have a little brother for the Road Worn![/quote]

Ah! Got ya. It will essentially be the same apart from the fact the Road Worn will obviously be better.

Hmm, if I were you, and you really like the Precisions, and didnt want a CV 60s Jazz, id get the 50s CV just to have a different option. Then again I can see why you want the Fiesta Red CV Precision.

I loved them soooo much I've bought all 3 of them

But here a quick review of all 3:

Before I start let me explain that I have replaced the pickups in all 3 of these basses with Seymour Duncan vintage replica ones, because I didn't like the sound of the Squier p/ups, some people however are getting by with the orignal ones nonetheless, still I am convinced that changing them makes for a definite improvement. (also the pots and wiring were changed with original CST Fender made and cloth covered high quality wirings)

All 3 are fitted with these very good Fender High Mass bridges, note that the 50's Pre has steel saddles, the Jazz has brass saddles, and... the strange thing is that if you buy the 60's Precision in Sonic Blue, you will get steel saddles and an ashtray cover on the bridge, but if you get the newer Fiesta Red, you'll have brass sadlles like in the Jazz but no ashtray cover on the bridge, go figure! ??

[b]The Jazz (was) Olympic White, but I Mooo'ed it. :[/b] In the past 30 years I've owned an original 70's Jazz and a Squier JV Series 82 Jazz, I've sold the 70's to get something else can't remember what, and the Squier got nicked. 19 years and countless basses later I've had the urge to get another Jazz and this CV one fitted the bill, both in playability and quality of manufacture. The neck is perfect, the rosewood used for the fretboard is flawless and these necks fit so nice in their pocket to put the Mexican Fender to shame. The jazz unplugged is the most resonant and loud out of the 3, I have no idea why, it just is, and when you plug it in, that factor alone makes this bass the loudest and brightest out of the 3 with incredible sustain. To quote Nigel Tuffnel: "You can go for a bite and you'd still be hearing that one..." :)

[b]The 50's Precision Lake Placid Blue:[/b]
The most sound captivating out of the 3 in terms of warmth and period correct "vibe", it still gives me goose bumps everytime I play it. It has this gorgeous fat chunky one piece neck in a lovely maple wood, to note this is the only model out of the 3 that Squier has left the maple natural whereas the other 2 are covered in a tinted lacquer to give them an aged look, it's a matter of personal taste of course but this pale slab of maple to me it's gorgeous to look at. Despite the chunky neck they are a breeze to play. What can I say this is point and shoot bass, one pickup, volume and tone and nothing that can go wrong with that setup, just get out there, shout HELL YEAH and play the heck out of it. This bass won't let you down.

[b]The 60's Precision Fiesta Red:[/b]
A true love affair... this is the King of the Mid's register, from a definite punk clanky "Clash" type sound through to blazing overdriven - pick played rock tunes this bass cannot be left out of a good gig. Nice body to neck weight ratio, this sucker won't dive on you, and every note you play, rewards you with superb definition. Very comfortable to play the neck is obvioulsy wider than the Jazz but it retains the same thickness, while the 50's is as wide as the 60's this is a lot less deep and might favour those with smaller hands and fast players who like to play big jumps from top fret to lower ones. I believe this bass is different from the other 2 but at the same time, I just can't make my mind which I love the most, and it's all a personal opinion, frankly I couldn't do without any of them and if I was really pushed to put them in order of preference it would be a very difficult choice but... I can just about say that my top favourite is the 50's Blue, closely followed by the 60's Red and in 3rd but closer place is the Jazz.

Dunno, I never touched one, I'll have to try. However something worries me about that bass, it's not from the same factory where the other CV's come from, this one says "Crafted in Indonesia" I am not sure about the quality of their workmanship and/or the material used. So before I start the gassing procedure, I'll have to get my filthy hands on one of them and see for meself.