Why become a member? ×

Do they make non-black nylon strings for bass guitar?

Cat Burrito

Just wondering if they do and if so, does anyone have a link? I love the tone on mine, love the feel and I'm now used to the heavier gauge. However I'd think I'd prefer them to look more traditional on some of my basses. Ever the slave to image... can anyone help? I'd love some silver / grey ones.

I have & do use flatwounds too. I have my oldest P-bass strung with them. I find that although very similar to nylons there is a slight difference. I have one strung with flats, one roundwound & then the nylons. Happy with the black ones but I'd like to see a different colour on the market. I do wonder why they were only made black, there must be a reason?

[quote name='spinynorman' post='829544' date='May 6 2010, 12:57 PM']Is this what you mean? They do pink too.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1851-dr_silver_stars_45_105_coated_bass_strings"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/18...ed_bass_strings[/url][/quote]

Gotta be worth a go, cheers

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='828178' date='May 5 2010, 09:37 AM']Sorry to hijack, but how different do they sound and feel from stainless flats? I don't plan on changing strings too often, and I'd like to make a sensible choice.[/quote]

I think they are similar certainly but flatwounds sound a little more fretless-y too me and trubass sound more upright-y. As I type that I'm immediately unhappy with my descriptions as they are close tonally but slightly different. I actually restrung my resonator bass with flatwounds last night and it sounds awesome. I'm a big fan of flats too. It's also to do with the feel on your fingertips that I like so I'm certainly not against flats, just wondering if this product exists and also curious as to why these strings tend to always be black.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='829785' date='May 6 2010, 04:36 PM']Gotta be worth a go, cheers[/quote]
They are roundwound mate, All DR coated strings are.

I have never come across anything other than black nylons, so to speak.

[quote name='silddx' post='829807' date='May 6 2010, 04:48 PM']I have never come across anything other than black nylons, so to speak.[/quote]

Aaaahh, so that's what you get up to at the weekends. :) :rolleyes:

Mrs M asked 'do you wear them with those boots?'

Edited by Marvin