Why become a member? ×

5 string? would i benefit?

woolz

Standard tuning should be fine. C# will be 2nd fret on the B string. Plus you'll have the flexibility of being able to play five frets higher and a string lower (if you see what I mean?) which gives a lot more bottom-end thump to your lines.

:)

Well, if you have detuned already I'm not sure whether you will benefit unless yoi are looking to go lower than C#. The issue I have with 5 stringers is the width of the neck and the fact I cannot play in 'auto pilot' - whichis the result of playing for so long on a 4 string!

hmmmmm, i use c# then Ab Db Gb . so 1/2 step down all strings with the drop c#. (basically the same as drop D tuning, but half a tone down). so if i got a 5 string could i tune it: leave the low B but tune the other 4 strings the way i tune it now?

Edited by woolz

If you are already detuning a semitone and want to stick with a 4 string then give thought to a [url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=6"]Hipshop Bass Xtender[/url]. You'll just be flicking down & up the extra tone to Db/C#. I did that for years with the Wal and it is a great bit of kit that only gave me a problem when I moved to a 5 because I had learnt songs using the Xtender changing down and up during the songs, where you have obviously got used to the shifted positions on the E - not helped by taking the new 5 string toy straight to a gig and then struggling with the changed positions (noone to blame but me there :) )

It would be a bit pointless having a 5 string if you're going to drop the Eb to a Db or a C#, you might as well keep the 4 string tuning you have already as you'd probably never touch the B.
You can always try it out, whatever works for you.

Edited by waltsdog

[quote name='woolz' post='825949' date='May 2 2010, 09:59 PM']ive already got one of those mate. question is could i take the tuning i use now over to a 5string?[/quote]

[quote name='waltsdog' post='825975' date='May 2 2010, 10:33 PM']It would be a bit pointless having a 5 string if you're going to drop the Eb to a Db or a C#, you might as well keep the 4 string tuning you have already as you'd probably never touch the B.
You can always try it out, whatever works for you.[/quote]
I'd tend to agree. particularly if you already have the Bass Xtender. The low B (Bb detuned) only gives you an extra 3 frets so all you'd be saving is flicking down and back up again - which I always thought was pretty cool, and a laugh confusing anyone watching once you've mastered making the switch surreptitiously with your thumb :)

Or you could get yourself a B string & tune your bass BEAD. This way if you don't like it, you can go back to what you had & if you do like it & want the G string back then go for the 5er.

[quote name='woolz' post='825966' date='May 2 2010, 10:20 PM']ok cheers. would Bb Db Ab Db Gb work or not really?[/quote]

If you go the 5 string route I don't see the need to tune it that way. In standard tuning
you would be going a tone lower than your current low C#, so you will have all the range
you need with out dropping it any more. Plus,you won't be losing any of the upper register,
which you do when you detune.