Why become a member? ×

2 sets of Pyramid Gold flats

Have decided I prefer TI flats as these are too thuddy and retro sounding for me.

One set was on my 51 P bass for about a week, played only at home and is in good condition (very slight fraying of silks, which is unavoidable as the 51P is through body stringing) - £20 posted

The other set is 3/4 brand new (to explain, the G, A and D are still in their paper packets unused but I took out the E string and tried it on my 51P for 5 minutes to see if it was less thuddy than the E on the other set - it wasn't, its obviously the way these strings are)- £25 posted

£40 posted for both sets

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='824853' date='May 1 2010, 02:19 PM']Have decided I prefer TI flats as these are too thuddy and retro sounding for me.

One set was on my 51 P bass for about a week, played only at home and is in good condition (very slight fraying of silks, which is unavoidable as the 51P is through body stringing) - £20 posted

The other set is 3/4 brand new (to explain, the G, A and D are still in their paper packets unused but I took out the E string and tried it on my 51P for 5 minutes to see if it was less thuddy than the E on the other set - it wasn't, its obviously the way these strings are)- £25 posted

£40 posted for both sets[/quote]

I've played two sets of these now and the E is thuddier than the others, a bit like the G on La Bellas is a little brighter. I think you get used to it quite quickly though and whilst it sound a little less bright in real time, recorded you don't notice it.

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='824865' date='May 1 2010, 02:33 PM']I've played two sets of these now and the E is thuddier than the others, a bit like the G on La Bellas is a little brighter. I think you get used to it quite quickly though and whilst it sound a little less bright in real time, recorded you don't notice it.

Chris[/quote]
I have kept one set, which is on 'Sid', my 70RI P bass. The bridge on Sid is a Badass and the E has a small amount of sustain on that and sounds good live - on my 51P, though (which has the two saddle vintage bridge), it sounds totally dead (which is why I tried the second E just to be sure I hadn't got a duff string). I know I'm not doing a great job of selling these but you really need a bridge with reasonable sustain on it, in my view, to use these strings.

By the way I paid about £65 for the two sets from Thomann

[quote name='Beedster' post='824865' date='May 1 2010, 02:33 PM']I've played two sets of these now and the E is thuddier than the others, a bit like the G on La Bellas is a little brighter. I think you get used to it quite quickly though and whilst it sound a little less bright in real time, recorded you don't notice it.

Chris[/quote]
I agree with that. I like them, got them on my Decade