Why become a member? ×

Help me choose a bass

parker_muse

I've turned 18 and apart from obvious age benefits related to alcohol and tobacco consumption, it also means i have my savings and in part this is to be used to purchase my first 'real' bass. So, what should I look at?

I play in a Ska/Indie/Reggae ish band and we've started gigging really extensively, and we were signed recently. I'll be running it into a Ashdown Superfly head, going into a 2x10 Peavey and hopefully soon a 1x15 too.

Trawling through the classifieds on here (I'm thinking i'd rather go second hand then new. Get more for my money and aid the wonderful community on basschat) some basses have really leaped out at me and i'm not sure which to choose between.

I love the looks of the Fender 50's reissue P bass in fiesta red. It's gorgeous, has a lovely maple fretboard and the classic P tone. Do you think however that the tone would be too one dimensional for the music or would it sit in perfectly?

I also saw the MTD kingston 5. I'm pretty unfamiliar with 5 strings, only having the occasional noodle on them. I love the look and feel of the four and i'm not sure where to go with it - is it a gamble to go for a 5er when i'm not really going to use it extensively in the band situation over a 4?

There is also a Tokai Rockinbetter that came up recently with rick pups and bridge in it. I love the look of a rick (Bruce Foxton was one of the reasons i picked up a bass) but i'm not sure that the sound would suit the band environment and i played a real rick recently and i was not too convinced.

What are your thoughts or ideas on what I should look at? I've got a budget of 600 tops, i'd rather spend in the 400 region though.

Thanks,

Parker.

[quote name='Duarte' post='823182' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:05 PM']The P bass would probably be right at home, or any fender really. Maybe a StingRay if you can get one for that price...[/quote]

I play a Stingray copy at the moment - the 'Vintage' ones. It's pretty good playability wise and was an excellent buy for the money but i'm not the biggest fan of the EQs in them, i can never find that 'natural' sound.

if your into the p bass sound and have a mm pickup bass at the
moment, have a look at the sandberg pm shaped like a p bass
but also has a mm pick up, build quality is great and they are very
versatile. i have a basic and its unreal the tone options from one
mm pup with active and passive on a push/pull knob a great feature

i seen a red stingray in the for sale thread for 650 been there a while sure
600 posted would buy it. i pm'd the guy seems open to cash offers worth a try.

good luck with the search you have plenty options with 600 spare sure you will
get a good one. don't suppose you play five string i'll sell you my esp :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='hagguy' post='823221' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:34 PM']if your into the p bass sound and have a mm pickup bass at the
moment, have a look at the sandberg pm shaped like a p bass
but also has a mm pick up, build quality is great and they are very
versatile. i have a basic and its unreal the tone options from one
mm pup with active and passive on a push/pull knob a great feature

i seen a red stingray in the for sale thread for 650 been there a while sure
600 posted would buy it. i pm'd the guy seems open to cash offers worth a try.

good luck with the search you have plenty options with 600 spare sure you will
get a good one. don't suppose you play five string i'll sell you my esp :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

I had a look at a Sandberg basic on here for 450 i think recently. I've only heard amazing things about them but it was snapped up rather fast! I just wonder if i'd ever need anything more then that deep warm p bass thump. I mean it'll work perfectly 90% of the time but we have a couple of slap licks...

[quote name='parker_muse' post='823227' date='Apr 29 2010, 05:37 PM']I had a look at a Sandberg basic on here for 450 i think recently. I've only heard amazing things about them but it was snapped up rather fast! I just wonder if i'd ever need anything more then that deep warm p bass thump. I mean it'll work perfectly 90% of the time but we have a couple of slap licks...[/quote]

tbh gettin a p bass sound out a basic is easy flip it onto passive
little bit of eq and your there. i had mine up on here for £450
and got no interest, and i withdrew it stuck some flats on for a change of pace
and its amazing, played along with maiden for a while pushed the active knob in and your
into a great slap tone for some ratm. have a look at an ibanez atk just like a stingray but
can get one for £250 sounds to good to be true but they are very impressive, defo worth a look

[quote name='hagguy' post='823284' date='Apr 29 2010, 06:45 PM']tbh gettin a p bass sound out a basic is easy flip it onto passive
little bit of eq and your there. i had mine up on here for £450
and got no interest, and i withdrew it stuck some flats on for a change of pace
and its amazing, played along with maiden for a while pushed the active knob in and your
into a great slap tone for some ratm. have a look at an ibanez atk just like a stingray but
can get one for £250 sounds to good to be true but they are very impressive, defo worth a look[/quote]

I have played an ATK, i thought it had the same problem as my Stingray where I just couldn't find that natural tone. Maybe single humbuckers with big EQ's are just not for me!

What a great dilema to have. this would be my preference . I would have to say Musicman man first, great work horse, sit with your sound perfectly. The Sandburg is also a great shout. The P bass are beautiful, but limited.

If your signed, get onto the major bass manufactuers and beg a bass!!!!!!

[quote name='alexharvay' post='823387' date='Apr 29 2010, 08:29 PM']Good job, and happy 18th![/quote]

[quote name='TRadford' post='823389' date='Apr 29 2010, 08:31 PM']You sir are a liar.. I think I behold that privilage![/quote]

Cheers Alex! Feels good!

Want a bad bass off? :)

mex p bass if its a good one....... if the pickups arnt great i cudnt recommend lindy fralin pick ups enough! changed my p bass in so many good ways. Also flats on a p bass :) i recommend elites, better made and cheeper than rotosound and after a while have a relly great tone!

The Precision with flats/rounds is down to personal preference & how you want to sit in the mix, really. I downloaded the live John Mayer Trio album the other day (with Pino on bass) & his Precision on flats sounds great on the busier tracks, but on the slow blues numbers, it's too flat and dead sounding for my tastes.

I have my AV 62 on DR FatBeams. Lovely sound. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='823547' date='Apr 29 2010, 11:21 PM']The Precision with flats/rounds is down to personal preference & how you want to sit in the mix, really. I downloaded the live John Mayer Trio album the other day (with Pino on bass) & his Precision on flats sounds great on the busier tracks, but on the slow blues numbers, it's too flat and dead sounding for my tastes.

I have my AV 62 on DR FatBeams. Lovely sound. :)[/quote]

I really like that John Mayer album.

My '78 P is on Sunbeams. Also very nice.

the flats round debate rears it's head again :)
they both have good points. i can't slap as nice on my flats
but they feel great and the fret noise from round is horrible next to
flats. comprimise go for elites groundwound best of both. from my first go at flats
i can say they are the dub reggae smooth sound delivered immaculately, they are slappable
in a slightly muted tone which is cool. sandy basic with flats is stunnig imo. get some groundwounds on
your p bass and you will be a happy chappy no doubt all the feel and sound of flats with brightnest

im feeling envious now :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: