Why become a member? ×

Refurbishing an 8x6 Ampeg Cab?

drewk_ie

Hi,

I just picked up a discontinued American Ampeg SVT 806HE bass cabinet (rated at 4 Ohms), unfortunately 4 of the 8 original 8 Ohm speakers (SLM Electronics) are blown and missing.

I've tracked down some replacement Eminence Speakers (Alpha). All of the existing cabling is intact within the cab, complete with the positve/ negative lugs to connect to the speakers.

However, I decided to connect my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 to the cab tonight to check to see if the remaining 4 original speakers are working, but got no sound out of the cab at all, is this because of the open circuitry from the missing speakers?

I plan to order the replacement speakers this week....

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Drew :)

before you connect the amp to the cab you should inspect all of the wiring first.... you don't want to end up with a low impedance and blow up your amp. i'm not familiar with the wiring setup of the cab but if the missing speakers where in parallel then this shouldn't cause no sound, but in series you'd have to short the wires over.

The cab was wired up in a mixture of series and parallel, if any of the series wiring is missing then you might well have a broken circuit and no sound. Since we don't know what has been done when the speakers were removed we can have no way of being certain.

Thanks for the quick response guys, the cab has a mixture of series & parallel wiring, so i think (fingers crossed) that the missing speakers are the reason for no sound. That's a great trick with the 9v battery, I'll check it out at the weekend.

Hopefully the existing 4 speakers are ok, so I'll only have to order the 4 new ones...

Thanks again

Drew

• 3 months later...

Hey,

Just posting an update... I ordered the 4No. replacement speakers from Thomann as well as a few other bits and bobs that were missing off the 806HE cab.

Wired up the speakers, replaced the missing screws from the existing speakers, re-attached the vinyl covering where it was just hanging off (luckily none if it was completely missing) etc etc. Connected it up with my Ampeg B500DR head and....

...what a sound, beautiful and warm, exactly what you would expect from an Ampeg. In fact the 806HE sounds so great that I've decided to move on my PJB 4B cabs (2No.) as I was going to get these flight cased together, but the Ampeg 806HE is in fact smaller than having the two PJB cabs stacked, so the Ampeg is going off to be cased next week as it's definately a keeper!

I got lucky with this cab, picked it up used and distraught for € 100 and got the replacement speakers for € 156.00 and with a little time and TLC I now have another fantastic bass cab!!

Drew