Why become a member? ×

Anyone using EB Group III flats?

dave_bass5

Now my XLs have gone almost dead its string change time.

Ive used Chromes and TI's in the past on P's and Jazzes but never on a Music man.

While im happy to get my usual Chromes ive been reading about the EB Group III strings. Seems like they are pretty close in feel to Chromes but sound quite different.

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on these strings. They are to go on my Ray34.

They are quite expensive though so i might decide not to go with them.

Cheers.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using these flats for around 2 years now and they are superb. I use them on my P bass and recently changed to roundwound Ernie Balls for a change. After a couple of gigs i took them off again and put the flats back on ! These flats are just great in a band setting , really powerful and punchy.
I also used them for recording our new single 'VivaEnglandia' , i took my P bass with the flats and my Jazz with rounds just in case the flats didn't work too well in the studio. Straight away we got a great sound with the Ernie Ball flats.

Check them out , I don't think you will be dissapointed !

I have a set on my acoustic bass guitar. Really sounds nice. Got rid of the piano wire sound those bronze strings can sometimes have.
They are very nice strings and flats last forever so a worthy investment.

Cheers Guys.
I've actually got a set now but im in two minds about them.

I put them on the Ray and felt they gave it a nice, deep thuddy tone. But at the gig we all hated them and i took them off and went back to my olsd XLs. Much nicer tone.
Last weekend i put them back on again and they sounded much better at this gig, it must have been the venue i guess.

Im not sure ill stick with them though. As ive said, i've used flats many time before, but these seem to be different. Maybe they are closer to how flats should sound but i do prefer a brighter tone, thats why ive stuck to Chromes in the past.
I would like to try some Chromes on this bass as well at some point.

I guess ill see how it goes.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='840575' date='May 18 2010, 10:03 AM']Cheers Guys.
I've actually got a set now but im in two minds about them.

I put them on the Ray and felt they gave it a nice, deep thuddy tone. But at the gig we all hated them and i took them off and went back to my olsd XLs. Much nicer tone.
Last weekend i put them back on again and they sounded much better at this gig, it must have been the venue i guess.

Im not sure ill stick with them though. As ive said, i've used flats many time before, but these seem to be different. Maybe they are closer to how flats should sound but i do prefer a brighter tone, thats why ive stuck to Chromes in the past.
I would like to try some Chromes on this bass as well at some point.

I guess ill see how it goes.[/quote]

I have noticed hearing Chromes that they are a mid ground between rounds and flats....a little more sparkle and grind compared to total flats.

At first I HATED the idea of flats. Now I totally love em!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='840635' date='May 18 2010, 11:06 AM']I have noticed hearing Chromes that they are a mid ground between rounds and flats....a little more sparkle and grind compared to total flats.

At first I HATED the idea of flats. Now I totally love em![/quote]

Yeah, thats why i like Chromes. Closest ive come to rounds but with a nice flat thump.