Why become a member? ×

Little Giant 1000

ravingdavies

i have an lg 1000 and had the exact same problem. the lg's have weak pre-amps. simple fix is to put a pedal in the effects loop to boost the signal going in to the power amp. i put an aphex punch factory in and it is now super ultra loud. If you feel more adventurous, there are schematics to put a boost circuit into the preamp as well.

I use the lg with 2 BFM Jack 12 cabs and it's very very loud and even with the aphex, it still cost less than £250. deal!

hope that helps, any pedal with clean boost will do.

Rich

[quote name='richrips' post='819001' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:30 AM']i have an lg 1000 and had the exact same problem. the lg's have weak pre-amps. simple fix is to put a pedal in the effects loop to boost the signal going in to the power amp. i put an aphex punch factory in and it is now super ultra loud. If you feel more adventurous, there are schematics to put a boost circuit into the preamp as well.

I use the lg with 2 BFM Jack 12 cabs and it's very very loud and even with the aphex, it still cost less than £250. deal!

hope that helps, any pedal with clean boost will do.

Rich[/quote]

get a 4ohm cab

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='819027' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:45 AM']or add another 8 ohm cab bringing it all down to 4 ohms....maybe a 1X15? The 1000 watts rating is at 4 ohms, not 8.[/quote]

Thanks for advice folks. I wanted to avoid humping around my 1 x15 but that seems the obvious answer.

Excuse my ignorance but should I be "daisychaining" the cabs or feeding each from the outputs on the back of the amp ?

[quote name='ravingdavies' post='819048' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:02 AM']Thanks for advice folks. I wanted to avoid humping around my 1 x15 but that seems the obvious answer.
Excuse my ignorance but should I be "daisychaining" the cabs or feeding each from the outputs on the back of the amp ?[/quote]

The LG is in effect 2 X 500W/4 ohm amps, so you would need 2 X 4 ohm cabs to get max output.

EDIT: I don't think you can't bridge the outputs on this amp.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='yorks5stringer' post='819027' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:45 AM']or add another 8 ohm cab bringing it all down to 4 ohms....maybe a 1X15? The 1000 watts rating is at 4 ohms, not 8.[/quote]

? wouldn't that be a bad idea? pumping 1000watts into a 350watt cab?

Changing from 8 to 4 ohms makes a very marginal difference to volume and is certainly not worth selling cabs to achieve.

run one cab from each output. in to 8ohm cabs this will give you around 350 watts per cab. The relationship between watts and volume is not linear, meaning a 1000 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 100watt amp. you would need 10000watts to go twice as loud again, hence the difference between 350watts and 500watts is very small in audible terms.

The easiest way to more volume is to boost the signal to the power amp (see my first post). Do you have any fx pedals?

I hope that makes sense and helps!

Cheers,
Rich

Edited by richrips

[quote name='richrips' post='819060' date='Apr 26 2010, 11:11 AM']Changing from 8 to 4 ohms makes a very marginal difference to volume and is certainly not worth selling cabs to achieve.

run one cab from each output. in to 8ohm cabs this will give you around 350 watts per cab. The relationship between watts and volume is not linear, meaning a 1000 watt amp is only twice as loud as a 100watt amp. you would need 10000watts to go twice as loud again, hence the difference between 350watts and 500watts is very small in audible terms.

The easiest way to more volume is to boost the signal to the power amp (see my first post). Do you have any fx pedals?

I hope that makes sense and helps!

Cheers,
Rich[/quote]

I've got a few pedals knocking about, I'll give one a go tonight.

Thanks for the advice people.