Why become a member? ×

Franken fretless fun time

BassBod

I used to play fretless a lot, always enjoyed it but gradually got out the habit when I started playing EUB. Recently, I started putting this together, using a few accumulated parts and a few more recently found on BassChat.

[attachment=48166:P1000173.JPG]

This is the bass I wanted about 25 years ago, but ended up with a modded Pbass instead (now with our very own Beedster). It breaks down as Bravewood body (from Walbassist) '73 Fender neck (from Beedster) and used DiMarzios (from Pearl Jammin) plus other bits and pieces.

[attachment=48167:P1000174.JPG]

[attachment=48168:P1000179.JPG]

Got there in the end.....

BB

Hi Chris,

Its gooood, in a ssllllidddeyyy Thomastik way! The bass actually set itself up really, I just screwed it together, left it overnight, off it went. The only issue is the bridge is set higher than I would like, but its soo easy I don't want to mess around anymore.

See, we all think the same way....its already started, as I posted a box of bits to a well known luthier this very morning!

It looks like a Jaco tribute bass, but really its more of a "People who copied Jaco" tribute! I remember players from the late 70'/early 80's who used hacked up fenders or copies and sounded great - Dill Katz, Alan Thomson, Dave "Taef" Ball....I'm sure there were lots of others...if they didn't play a Wal it was often a fender with DiMarzios.

Edited by BassBod

[quote name='BassBod' post='818988' date='Apr 26 2010, 10:25 AM']I was going to ask you where the neck came from....but I've just decided not too![/quote]

It was part of a '73 Jazz I bough a couple of years back. The body was stripped, and the neck re-boarded, so it had no original/authentic vintage value. It played well but I was never happy about the tone. I put a fretted neck on the body and it sounded great, punchy and middy. I put this neck on a really light Warmoth body and it sounded great also, great sustain and a bit of a natural scoop. It was my main gigging bass for almost a year until I started to find the nut too narrow for playing accurately at that end of the board, so I bought Shaggy's '71 Precision Fretless, which, strangely enough, you had also owned a while back, and that solved that problem. I'd since sold on the original '73 body so was left with a spare Jazz neck.
Not quite Shakespeare but still a story I guess!

Chris

Stunning looking bass Bassbod – about time crème p/up covers made a comeback too!
Strangely enough I’m also currently making a bitza out of the other neck Mr Beedster was selling (the fretless maple P one) – a nostalgic revival of the “Sting” bass that was my first ever fretless in the early ‘80’s and also I’m missing not having a Precision more than I thought I would.

[quote name='Beedster' post='818846' date='Apr 26 2010, 08:17 AM']Looking at this thread again, and realised that it's strange seeing that neck on another bass, it's like seeing your bird with another guy :)[/quote]

In the words of Jacko, if you were a “lover not a fighter" your birds wouldn’t leave you! (wait a minute, remembers - you’ve got one of mine……… :rolleyes: )