Why become a member? ×

Can someone recommend me a strap.....

cameltoe

[quote name='Musicman20' post='825061' date='May 1 2010, 07:15 PM']I might go for one of these Minotaur straps. Plain black with padding:

[url="http://minotaur.gr/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=52"]http://minotaur.gr/catalog/product_info.ph...;products_id=52[/url]

Well, its their deluxe one so Im expecting it to be awesome.

How short and long will they get?

Lastly, daft as it sounds, has anyone found the leather 'rubs' onto their light coloured instruments? A lot of mine are white.[/quote]
Thats the very same one that I have - I have it slung medium to medium/low (Mark King and Sid Vicious I ain't), its adjustable as it has rectangular holes cut in it and you thread the bottom half of the strap through these as many times as you want to get it the length you like. I think it will do anything other than short.

I have it on my Oly White bass Sid right now and I've never noticed any colour come off it

[quote name='Clarky' post='825077' date='May 1 2010, 07:34 PM']Thats the very same one that I have - I have it slung medium to medium/low (Mark King and Sid Vicious I ain't), its adjustable as it has rectangular holes cut in it and you thread the bottom half of the strap through these as many times as you want to get it the length you like. I think it will do anything other than short.

I have it on my Oly White bass Sid right now and I've never noticed any colour come off it[/quote]

Cheers!

Id quite like it to be able to be fairly high for the covers band, and a lower setting for my originals band which is more pick style. Will it go fairly high up do you think?

[quote name='Clarky' post='825077' date='May 1 2010, 07:34 PM']Thats the very same one that I have - I have it slung medium to medium/low (Mark King and Sid Vicious I ain't), its adjustable as it has rectangular holes cut in it and you thread the bottom half of the strap through these as many times as you want to get it the length you like. I think it will do anything other than short.

I have it on my Oly White bass Sid right now and I've never noticed any colour come off it[/quote]

Cheers!

Id quite like it to be able to be fairly high for the covers band, and a lower setting for my originals band which is more pick style. Will it go fairly high up do you think?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='825088' date='May 1 2010, 07:48 PM']Cheers!

Id quite like it to be able to be fairly high for the covers band, and a lower setting for my originals band which is more pick style. Will it go fairly high up do you think?[/quote]
Just shortened the strap as much as it will go and the top edge of the belly cut out on Sid is about 1cm above my belly button - there's scientific for you! But should allow you to hold up one of your Precisions and visualise. Frankly, much higher than that and you start looking a d*ck/slap merchant in my view :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='825096' date='May 1 2010, 07:58 PM']Just shortened the strap as much as it will go and the top edge of the belly cut out on Sid is about 1cm above my belly button - there's scientific for you! But should allow you to hold up one of your Precisions and visualise. Frankly, much higher than that and you start looking a d*ck/slap merchant in my view :)[/quote]

Thanks Clarky. I have another request!

When you get a moment, could you measure the distance from strap pin hole to strap pin hole when the strap is laid flat off the bass (on the very highest/shortest setting)? I can then set my old strap up at that length and see how it fits.

Thanks n sorry for being a pain!

[quote name='Doddy' post='816863' date='Apr 24 2010, 12:46 AM']Another vote for Comfort Strapp-I've used them for a while.

It's a shame you don't want colours or patterns-these Marvel Comic straps are
supremely cool......

[url="http://www.theacademyofsound.co.uk/Guitar_Straps"]http://www.theacademyofsound.co.uk/Guitar_Straps[/url][/quote]

Cheers for that, I've just ordered one of these

For this

[quote name='Musicman20' post='825117' date='May 1 2010, 08:26 PM']Thanks Clarky. I have another request!

When you get a moment, could you measure the distance from strap pin hole to strap pin hole when the strap is laid flat off the bass (on the very highest/shortest setting)? I can then set my old strap up at that length and see how it fits.

Thanks n sorry for being a pain![/quote]
OK Gareth, last one! I've got Britain's Got Talent to watch .... well actually am going to [s]perv over[/s] watch 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' with Scarlet Johansson

Anyway about 60cm at its longest and I think you could get it down to 44cm at its shortest (but that was an estimation as am in a hurry!)

[quote name='Clarky' post='825135' date='May 1 2010, 08:51 PM']OK Gareth, last one! I've got Britain's Got Talent to watch .... well actually am going to [s]perv over[/s] watch 'Vicky Cristina Barcelona' with Scarlet Johansson

Anyway about 60cm at its longest and I think you could get it down to 44cm at its shortest (but that was an estimation as am in a hurry!)[/quote]

Thanks ill measure that up and test it tomorrow.

[quote name='discreet' post='824636' date='May 1 2010, 10:23 AM']

UPDATE: Arrived this morning and is easily the most comfortable strap I've worn. And I've worn a few.
Makes my 76 Precision seem much lighter. Can't recommend it highly enough:

[url="http://minotaur.gr/catalog/index.php?cPath=28&osCsid=8e574d176fe1ebcd1dd2d55782e5ccd1"]Minotaur Bass Straps[/url][/quote]

Mine arrived this morning too.....

Very impressed. I went for the Deluxe Black just like Musicman20 wants.....

Just enough padding and very comfortable. I don't like it when straps are too over padded, it makes the bass feel less secure on your shoulder somehow. This has a nice amount and the strap itself is ultra thick! I think it could have been Geoff Capes weightlifting belt in a former life.

Damn quick delivery time to come from Greece, and it makes me feel like I;m doing a bit to help their economy too. :)

Got a free leather keyring too, in the shape of a guitar, with a pick holder built in. Very cool!

• 1 month later...

sorry to bomb in here -
I'm new,
but have also been eyeing out Minotaur strap - they look really good online

was just wondering how solidly they sat on your shoulder?
I got a Fender Jazz bass and can't stand it when my bass is sliding down the whole time

thanks

[quote name='discreet' post='820309' date='Apr 27 2010, 09:41 AM']Same here! It's uncanny... I went for the padded Brown/Black 11cm X 145cm 'vintage' one:

[attachment=48348:3B_Vinta...ack_Bass.jpg]

Forty quid including registered delivery and insurance.

EDIT: Spelling[/quote]

I think this is the one I have. I's a great strap but straplocks can be a pain in the arse due to thickness. Im sure you will find something just as chunky for under £40.

Ive been looking too, and Ive narrowed it down to a few...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIDE-COMFY-PADDED-Brown-Leather-Bass-Guitar-Strap-NEW_W0QQitemZ200486503668QQcategoryZ20831QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D200479458464%252B200479458464%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7637124453149121462#ht_4010wt_1137"]This...[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Levys-Levys-MSS3-2-5in-Suede-strap-Black-piping-Brown-/230481346620?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item35a9c2403c#ht_2307wt_911"]This...[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Premium-Brown-Black-Leather-Acoustic-Guitar-Strap-J-H-/380244713937?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item588859e1d1#ht_3039wt_1137"]and this...[/url]

Oh rubbish I was gonna recommend mine only it was from an Indie UK company and Im afraid the name has long since been worn off... :)
Suede backed padded leather, 4" wide.
I play a Yamaha TRB6-II, very well know for their stupid weight and I cannot feel it with this strap.
I want another one but I can't find em, shame cause it's perfect length. (why do they make leather straps 10 foot long?)

Edit:

Oh wow, nvm guy above me has found em online, happy days!

[quote name='Pkomor' post='874545' date='Jun 22 2010, 04:14 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WIDE-COMFY-PADDED-Brown-Leather-Bass-Guitar-Strap-NEW_W0QQitemZ200486503668QQcategoryZ20831QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D200479458464%252B200479458464%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7637124453149121462#ht_4010wt_1137"]This...[/url][/quote]

I got mine in black a few years ago, comfiest strap I've EVER used!
Only issue is it's not really stiff, so over years I guess it could stretch somewhat...not that I think mine has.

Edited by Kongo