Why become a member? ×

Marshall bass amps

Deep Thought

I might get a VBA400 if I decide to sell on my 400+

Played through a one a couple of times and liked it, heard the circuit boards and spade connectos can be dodgy though.

Used my '76 JMP 100 watt guitar head with a Russian Big Muff and EQ pedal into an Ampeg 8x10 when recording to blend in and out with the 'main' bass sound, sounded possessed, ace.

Edited by RyMed

[quote name='Finbar' post='269894' date='Aug 25 2008, 11:18 PM']I used to have a VBA400 (its now Jobiebass'), and it was pretty epic. Far louder than I ever needed really! But I miss that big loud stack behind me... Its not a subtle amp :huh:

Your VBA sounded pretty good the other week in Sheffield, man_at_arms84, but I didn't see both your Matamp cabs there :) Still one of the loudest things I've ever experienced in a venue like that though! Nice work :huh:[/quote]
Thanks very much mate.
Was that in the Casbah with Mirimar Disaster?
Yeah we were late and arrived litterally 10 mins before Mirimar finished, so for time reasons I just used Mirimars' cabs. Shame, the matamps really make the VBA sing.

[quote name='chris_b' post='270970' date='Aug 27 2008, 01:28 PM']We all used Marshall back then, but the world of bass has moved on and they seem to have been left behind.[/quote]
Yep. Sold mine as well. Not many people seem to want the "Old School" sound from a Bass these days. :)

Yup, Casbah. Would have loved to have heard that head and cab combo though. Would have been amazing. I'll have to make sure to catch you next time you swing through too :) Might bring earplugs though :huh:

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='273126' date='Aug 30 2008, 01:29 PM']Thanks very much mate.
Was that in the Casbah with Mirimar Disaster?
Yeah we were late and arrived litterally 10 mins before Mirimar finished, so for time reasons I just used Mirimars' cabs. Shame, the matamps really make the VBA sing.[/quote]

[quote name='Finbar' post='273263' date='Aug 30 2008, 06:05 PM']Yup, Casbah. Would have loved to have heard that head and cab combo though. Would have been amazing. I'll have to make sure to catch you next time you swing through too :) Might bring earplugs though :huh:[/quote]

Ahhh you missed us, we were down in sheffield again on thrusday just gone. PLayed at the Corporation with Storm of Light. What band do you play in? You from round Sheffield way?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='273381' date='Aug 30 2008, 10:15 PM']Lemmy uses Marshall[/quote]
I want to try his signature stack that Marshall's doing. Hope its gonna be at music live so i can give it a bit of a blast. Looks fantastic, especially the 4x15 :) cab :huh:

[quote name='5_string_death' post='273418' date='Aug 30 2008, 11:40 PM']I want to try his signature stack that Marshall's doing. Hope its gonna be at music live so i can give it a bit of a blast. Looks fantastic, especially the 4x15 :) cab :huh:[/quote]

Does look awesome but for the money it's gonna be I couldn't buy it over an Ampeg

The DBS gear was, and is, awesome stuff. Ridiculously loud, great thick tone and virtually bulletproof. The cabs were utterly back-breaking, though. Even the 2x10" weighed more than most 4x10"s... :)

If Marshall want to come out with something new for bassists out there, a newer, millennial version of the DBS range, with neodymium speakers, etc, would go down awfully well - certainly better than the MB stuff is doing. And, other than the seminal Mr. Kilminster and Chris Wolstenholme, they don't really have any name players using their gear... in fact, I think you'll find that many players out there don't even know that Marshall make bass gear. If they got a few high-profile endorsers, they'd find themselves selling significantly more. Put out a new DBS range, get Chris Wolstenholme to play them and appear in their ads, and watch them fly out the door...

let them meanwhile have inbuilt hysteria sounds :huh:
to be honest my experience with marshall bass amps isn't really positive :) I have to play one on a gig and everything went all feedbacky etc no matter what I did.. I ended up playing straight into DI and just asking my sound on the monitor :huh:

[quote name='Russ' post='273472' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:27 AM']The DBS gear was, and is, awesome stuff. Ridiculously loud, great thick tone and virtually bulletproof. The cabs were utterly back-breaking, though. Even the 2x10" weighed more than most 4x10"s... :)

If Marshall want to come out with something new for bassists out there, a newer, millennial version of the DBS range, with neodymium speakers, etc, would go down awfully well - certainly better than the MB stuff is doing. And, other than the seminal Mr. Kilminster and Chris Wolstenholme, they don't really have any name players using their gear... in fact, I think you'll find that many players out there don't even know that Marshall make bass gear. If they got a few high-profile endorsers, they'd find themselves selling significantly more. Put out a new DBS range, get Chris Wolstenholme to play them and appear in their ads, and watch them fly out the door...[/quote]

I think [url="http://www.mkdons.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/2f/f4/0,,10420~128047,00.jpg"]This[/url] could have a negitive effect on Marshall sales.

[quote name='Russ' post='273472' date='Aug 31 2008, 03:27 AM']The DBS gear was, and is, awesome stuff. Ridiculously loud, great thick tone and virtually bulletproof. The cabs were utterly back-breaking, though. Even the 2x10" weighed more than most 4x10"s... :)[/quote]

I still have a marshall DBS 4 X12. It's massive and sounds utterly amazing. I use it for practice. SO loud!! But yes, the weight is a massive issue. So much so I no longer tour with it as it's just too much to lug around. Im pretty sure both my matamp cabs together weigh less.

but it is one of the best sounding cabs I've ever had and is indistructable.
You can read about them on here.

[url="http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/dbs/dbs_04.asp"]http://www.marshallamps.com/heritage/dbs/dbs_04.asp[/url]

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='273340' date='Aug 30 2008, 08:26 PM']Ahhh you missed us, we were down in sheffield again on thrusday just gone. PLayed at the Corporation with Storm of Light. What band do you play in? You from round Sheffield way?[/quote]

Ah, didn't know you were on that bill! Might have nipped down otherwise :/ Are you in Sheffield a lot then?

Yeah, I'm in Sheffield - go listen www.myspace.com/maeslostempire - that's what I are doing.