Why become a member? ×

'P' tone knob causes drop in volume...

theosd

I bought a fernandes P/J copy from a Japanese shop online and since it's come in I can't put it down. Its knobs are set up vol/tone/tone. The issue I have is that if I roll the P pickup's tone knob above, say, 3/4, there is a steep drop in volume. Before that it's fine and actually puts out a fair amount. I know the dealer had replaced the pots with MIJ ones and the J pickup with a Lindy, and yet the J knob works fine. Any ideas?

[quote name='theosd' post='812235' date='Apr 20 2010, 09:15 AM']I bought a fernandes P/J copy from a Japanese shop online and since it's come in I can't put it down. Its knobs are set up vol/tone/tone. The issue I have is that if I roll the P pickup's tone knob above, say, 3/4, there is a steep drop in volume. Before that it's fine and actually puts out a fair amount. I know the dealer had replaced the pots with MIJ ones and the J pickup with a Lindy, and yet the J knob works fine. Any ideas?[/quote]

I'd have a word with the dealer who replaced the pots, seems like a wiring problem to me. I had a quick look through the [url="http://www.fender.com/support/wiring_diagrams_parts_lists.php#basses"]Fender wiring diagrams[/url] but couldn't see any with the vol/tone/tone config you describe. Have a search through above link if you're competent in wiring yourself, or else - back to the dealer :)

Good luck,
John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='812387' date='Apr 20 2010, 11:38 AM']Had the same problem with another P-copy last week. Turned out that some of the shielding in the cavity had come free; when the tone knob went past about 80% it started to brush against some shielding and robbed most of the signal.[/quote]

Sounds like a possibility, especially having been shipped from across the globe! I'll have a fondle tonight, thanks.

While I appreciate the animation of your avi Mr OSD could you not find another subject to use it on?

That animal murdered quite a few of my family and I really hate seeing his face when I look at a thread and being reminded of it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be nasty or anything.