Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Quick question re Stingrays

dirtylittleherbert

As far as I know, there's no passive bypass on a Stingray, so in answer to your question, it won't be so much quiet as utterly silent. :)

Usually when an active battery starts to die, you get a distorted sound and a loss of output. If your Stingray is quiet, try adjusting the pickup closer to the strings. That's what I did with mine. Being as the humbucker is normally situated in the "back" position, you can comfortably have it high enough so the pole pieces are 3-4mm off the strings.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='811891' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:10 PM']As far as I know, there's no passive bypass on a Stingray, so in answer to your question, it won't be so much quiet as utterly silent. :)[/quote]

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling a Stingray can operate without a battery even connected - so it might be that.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='811903' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:18 PM']I could be wrong, but I have a feeling a Stingray can operate without a battery even connected - so it might be that.[/quote]

Well I best get my arse to the shop in the morning to find out. I'm certain my guitar seems quieter. Bought my cab last night and the guy plugged his bass into my head and it was huge but not so much with mine. Even my little tourbus 10 could pump out a biggish sound (well big enough for my miserable neighbours) but that seems to be quiet too.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='811903' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:18 PM']I could be wrong, but I have a feeling a Stingray can operate without a battery even connected - so it might be that.[/quote]

My '79 Stingray operates without a battery. The treble/bass boosts will not operate but the bass still plays through an amp OK - just sounds a little dull

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='811940' date='Apr 19 2010, 09:42 PM']My 'ray has a pretty low output for an active pre-amp bass. Mind you, if you max out the bass it distorts in a rather ugly fashion. The 3-band eq is very sensitive on my ray.[/quote]

All of the Rays that I've had experience of have all had pretty healthy outputs! :) Hmmm I wonder if this is down to the difference between 2/3 band EQs?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='812071' date='Apr 19 2010, 11:27 PM']All of the Rays that I've had experience of have all had pretty healthy outputs! :) Hmmm I wonder if this is down to the difference between 2/3 band EQs?[/quote]

Oh oh, not that one again......................

[quote name='casapete' post='812100' date='Apr 20 2010, 12:16 AM']Oh oh, not that one again......................[/quote]

:) Is there an output difference between 2 and 3 band? I'm not fussed about which one is better/worse but wouldn't have thought there'd have been a significant difference in output though!

All the ones Ive had have been LOUD (2 and 3 eq). None have worked without a bettery - but they give you fair warning (distorted output) before they die. I think Rich (OTPJ) my have hit the nail on the head with the PUP height - check that first, if its hight drop it to 3-4mm. If no joy have the bass checked over for electrics.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='812166' date='Apr 20 2010, 06:57 AM']:) Is there an output difference between 2 and 3 band? I'm not fussed about which one is better/worse but wouldn't have thought there'd have been a significant difference in output though![/quote]

I've got a two MM 2 bands and a 3 band and they all have v.healthy outputs.
However there are some people who believe the 2 band sounds louder than the 3, but I think its all down to the tone control settings.
Pick up height is deffo something to check for though.