Why become a member? ×

For the little folk

crez5150

Stentor unveiled its smallest ever double bass at this year’s Musikmesse. The manufacturer’s decision to make smaller versions of the instrument started with the 1/4 size bass, after high demand from teachers.

The 1/16 model was a result of claims emerging that much younger musicians who wish to learn the instrument are not currently able to. This new bass is made from hand carved solid spruce, smaller machine heads and measurements made precisely to scale.

Italian string maker Dogal was chosen to tackle the difficult problem of making strings for such a small instrument, without reducing flexibility and sound quality. It also comes with chestnut brown varnish, laminated maple back and sides and a padded rayon cover with bow and accessory pockets.

The 1/16 bass will retail for around £795 and there is already a selection of other sizes available in the Stentor range.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='811849' date='Apr 19 2010, 08:50 PM']IME with smaller DBs (I helped out at a kids orchestra who had some 1/8 (I think, could have been 1/4) basses) its mainly a smaller body- the strings and neck aren't scaled to 1/8 or whatever. They're smaller than usual but not to the extent that the body is.[/quote]

oh i see, full size neck, but smaller body, making it easier for smaller people to play, but not having the problems i mentioned. makes sense.

If the neck was actually 1/16th scale that would result in a scale length of between two and three inches!

edit- the whole double bass size thing is a bit misleading. My 4/4 bass is not 25% bigger than a 3/4 bass, nor are the 1/4 scale instruments actually 25% of the size as a normal one. It seems more like marketing than anything else to me- 1/8 or 1/16 scale sounds more attractive to parents looking for an instrument for their kids than one "a bit smaller than usual".

Edited by velvetkevorkian