Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a multi track

Jamesemt

I bought mulitrack for my iPhone and it has proved to be a bit of a revelation - if a little fiddly.

Last year I mucked about with Cubase and a control surface, but the faffing around put me off.

So I'm looking for a multitrack recorder - would prefer an 8 track but need to do it as cheap as possible - £200 to £300 if I can raise the cash.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Seen a Tascam DP-01 for £100...any good compared to the new generation?

Edited by Jamesemt

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/r16/"]Zoom R16[/url]

You can get them for about £315

16 track, 8 Mic pres

Can link to a second machine later when you need 32 track

Records to SDHC card (up to 32GB)

Has a set of stereo mics built in

Will act as an interface to your 'puter

Dedicated master track, and ability to mix down to the SDHC card

Comes with Cubase LE

Loads of built in DSP and amp simulations too

Smaller than a netbook

Will run on 6AA batteries!

This, sir, is the canine undercarriage of cutting edge cheap multitracking.

Enjoy.

It depends what sort of quality you're going for - do you want it mainly to use as a "sketchbook" or to produce professional finished work?

I've been using a Boss BR600 8 track for a while & have been pleasantly surprised at how good it can sound.
They're always on Ebay (that's how I got mine) & you'll easily get one for under £200.

[quote name='RhysP' post='810199' date='Apr 18 2010, 11:52 AM']It depends what sort of quality you're going for - do you want it mainly to use as a "sketchbook" or to produce professional finished work?

I've been using a Boss BR600 8 track for a while & have been pleasantly surprised at how good it can sound.
They're always on Ebay (that's how I got mine) & you'll easily get one for under £200.[/quote]

mmm not really a sketchbook as Ive got my iPhone for that. Main idea is to be able to record something presentable

[quote name='RhysP' post='810546' date='Apr 18 2010, 06:27 PM']When I say "Sketchbook" I meant something that can be set up & used quickly if inspiration strikes (it's got built in mics & can be powered by batteries), not that it was of low quality.

I should have been a bit clearer there. :)[/quote]

Ahh I see. Quick setup is a must so I don't lose interest/can get instant results. The ability to put a decent drum track from inbuilt drums would be good, as would a few guitar effects.

Whatever you decide upon buying, check out youtube first for user reviews and such, it could help in your purchase decision if you're not in the position to try-before-you-buy. Any Tascam gear though will probably do the trick, they sorted of started the whole home recording malarkey way back, so should know what they're doing :)

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='811301' date='Apr 19 2010, 01:24 PM']Ahh I see. Quick setup is a must so I don't lose interest/can get instant results. The ability to put a decent drum track from inbuilt drums would be good, as would a few guitar effects.[/quote]

The BR600 has got built in amp modelling & effects, and also a pretty good drum machine, which can also be programmed via a PC using software you can download from the Boss website.
You can also export tracks as WAV or AIFF files so they can be used on other machines, PCs etc.

[quote name='RhysP' post='811538' date='Apr 19 2010, 04:45 PM']The BR600 has got built in amp modelling & effects, and also a pretty good drum machine, which can also be programmed via a PC using software you can download from the Boss website.
You can also export tracks as WAV or AIFF files so they can be used on other machines, PCs etc.[/quote]

Have you got one? There seems to be a few bad reviews kicking about.
Are there any other drum machine multi trackers apart from the R16 and BR600?

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='811545' date='Apr 19 2010, 04:51 PM']Have you got one? There seems to be a few bad reviews kicking about.[/quote]
I've had one for a couple of years & not had any problems with it.
Piece of piss to use too.

For recording guitar n bass i'd say Micro BR is great (it's what iuse for recording)
and can be used to do drums (both inbuilt and recording a drumkit - though that would require an external mixer)

I haven't had much experience with the inbuilt rhythm kit but i have heard it's good, only down side to it is that it's actually so compact it can require a lot of fiddling about to get the right fx sound (no knobs to twist, instead button pressing waiting for numbers to count up/down)

However the output it damn good, only down side, for some, is what you're putting into it.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='827572' date='May 4 2010, 02:45 PM']I have a mint pretty much unused BR600 in a flight case if you are interested. I bought it for the band to use, and they never have!

£165 plus potage and it's yours!

Cheers[/quote]

thanks for the offer - bought one last week. Great piece of kit