Why become a member? ×

What songs to record for bass ?

thunderbird13

Chaps and Chapesses - following Sarah’s and Linus’ threads regarding their respective band problems got me thinking as I find myself in the same boat ( i.e. bandless) To that end I have decided to put myself “out there “ and record myself playing some songs for my Myspace page which I could then send as a link to people. The question is what songs to record ? Ideally they should be ;

1/ Iin a rock style ,

2/ Last about 3 or 4 minutes

3/ Be interesting enough so that people will listen to them

4/ Be bass orientated enough so that I’m not just playing root notes and potential bands can gauge my playing

5 / Be easy enough for someone as cackhanded as me to play and sound good

Obviously number 5 is he most important :)

Anyway I was considering My Generation but apart from the solo the bass doesn’t do much – any other suggestions??

Cheers

Is it possible for you to string a bunch of famous bass lines interspersed with various bass licks of your own?

Sunshine of your love - Money - Taxman/Start - The Chain - Come together - Walk on the wildside... etc.

That might be a lot more interesting for you and the listener rather than listen to the whole of a song and tbh the bassline to many rock songs is so nondescript that the listener would struggle to recognise it.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='804759' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:20 PM']Is it possible for you to string a bunch of famous bass lines interspersed with various bass licks of your own?

Sunshine of your love - Money - Taxman/Start - The Chain - Come together - Walk on the wildside... etc.

That might be a lot more interesting for you and the listener rather than listen to the whole of a song and tbh the bassline to many rock songs is so nondescript that the listener would struggle to recognise it.[/quote]

now thats a great idea :)

Interesting suggestion, School Days, then Sunshine for your love. Ones very hard, the other very easy!

I agree on anything Jack Bruce has done. Badge is a cool song on bass as is White Room. My Generation is great on Bass and you could really go to town with the outro and come up with something new.

How about something form the Chillis like Scar Tissue or All around the World. they are not too difficult but are really driven by bass and are interesting to play.

I really wouldn't expect many, if any, to listen to a full track even if they were actually looking for a bass player. Record the full track sure but just pick a short section where the bass is prominent and puts across what you can do favourably and fade in and out around the 'strong' section. Alternatively, as has already been suggested, put together a medley of passages. I wouldn't upload any more than 30sec-1min from any individual piece though.

That's a good idea. I don't think you have to do things like School Days though because it's not other bass players you're trying to impress. Rather some short snippets of instantly recognisable bass lines... and don't restrict yourself to just rawk either, (something like 'Around The World' by Daft Punk).