Why become a member? ×

Which is the better value for money?

No1skewenjack

I currently have a entry level bass which cost £120 with a Amp bargin but I think a upgrade is in order. £200 is my budget. My teacher knows where I can pick up a 2nd hand Peavey Grind Bass but has also pointed out a Yamaha RBX170 from a local shop. Both are the same price. Which one is generally best value for money? Plyaing Funk, Slap?

any Yamaha RBX should be a sound buy, good spec..sort of a P/J combo'...thin necks too if you like that sort of thing...I do

Neck Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood
Bridge Vintage Style
Tuners Die-cast Chrome
Colors Black, Metallic Dark Blue, Metallic Red, Old Violin Sunburst
Construction Bolt-on
Body Solid Agathis
Frets 24
Radius 10"
Pickups 1 X Split Single-Coil & 1 X Straight Single-Coil
Controls Front Volume, Rear Volume, Master Tone
Scale Length 34"

Neck Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood
Bridge Vintage Style
Tuners Die-cast Chrome
Construction Bolt-on
Body Solid Agathis
Frets 24
Radius 10"
Scale Length 34"

Neck Maple
Fingerboard Rosewood
Bridge Vintage Style
Tuners Die-cast Chrome
Construction Bolt-on
Body Solid Agathis
Frets 24
Radius 10"
Scale Length 34"

Edited by iconic

Both of those are really entry level instruments that you'd expect to find in a "with amp" package. Your £200 would get you a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe mint and used on the for sale pages on here. Or for just a little more, say £30 extra, you can get a new Ibanez SR300. That's a serious lot of bass for the money.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

good point...another £35 buys you a Squier VMJ or a BB414 for £209 from these guys:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Stock-YAMAHA-BB414-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-VINTAGE-WHITE_W0QQitemZ170470301310QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioElectronicsVideo_Video_TelevisionSetTopBoxes?hash=item27b0d25e7e"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-Stock-YAMAHA-BB414...=item27b0d25e7e[/url]

Edited by iconic

I played a mates RBX 170 a couple of times a while back and was really impressed by it (it cost him £170, I think) its a much nicer looking thing than the BB, which imho is one of the ugliest basses out there!

I have never seen one of the Peaveys, so can't comment.

The squier classic vibe range get nothing but praise on here, so I'd be tempted to look at some of those or the vintage modified jazz?

I am a big fan of Classic Peavey but don't know much about the later stuff.
I have a Yam RBX 270, fretless, which is a really great bass.
Several people who have had a go on it have been quite surprised, including
a semi-pro and a bass teacher.
I have had a go on a fretted, Natural one - just as good.
Full sound, Grrreat neck, light - does what it says on the tin.
For me, I would keep my eye out for a nice, used 270 around £100.
Simples! :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='802319' date='Apr 11 2010, 07:37 AM']Both of those are really entry level instruments that you'd expect to find in a "with amp" package. Your £200 would get you a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe mint and used on the for sale pages on here. Or for just a little more, say £30 extra, you can get a new Ibanez SR300. That's a serious lot of bass for the money.[/quote]

I must agree with you there....the RBX along with the Ibanez GSR 180, really are entry level.

The extra few pounds to by a new VMJ. (if you can't get one from the "For Sale" pages), would be money well spent. The build quailty is excellent, and even the stock electrics do more than a passable job.

The Peavy Grind I tried once, just didn't feel right - nice tone, but there was something I couldn't take to - but that is a personal thing.

OTPJ's suggestion of the SR300 is sound advice - that is a damn fine bass.

The only way you are going to find what is right for you, is to try out as many as you can - don't worry about the price tag at the moment - once you have shortlisted what you like, then start looking around for ones that fit your budget.

[quote name='arsenic' post='802386' date='Apr 11 2010, 10:06 AM']The only way you are going to find what is right for you, is to try out as many as you can - don't worry about the price tag at the moment - once you have shortlisted what you like, then start looking around for ones that fit your budget.[/quote]

That's the best advice. Also, if the bass you really like costs a little too much it is better to wait a while and save a little than be in the same situation in 6 months time.

I would also suggest seeing if you can find a second hand Schecter; great basses for the money; even better than Yamahas in my opinion thanks to their tonal versatility (mostly due to the EMG Hz pickupsthey come with). I have a Stiletto Custom 5 that easily holds its own as a gigging bass too when you make that step.