Why become a member? ×

yet another flat string query

Paul S

Hi all.

I've just acquired a Westone Thunder 1A. I want to put flats on it - currently use TI Jazz flats on another bass and am loving them. However. For my new band we detune a semitone (playing heavy-ish classic rock stuff) and I think they are loose enough as it is. I've had a read through some older posts but just can't get my head around what I would need from the bewildering choice out there. Do I need a thicker guage to compensate for detuning a bit? As far as I can see Tomastik don't do a thicker guage (or do they?) Or would the different tension in a different make, say la Bella, make enough difference?

help!

You're correct, Thomastik don't do different gauges. I use TI Jazz Flats on my fretless with a D-tuner and on the odd occasions I drop the E string to D it copes but I don't know that I'd want it that loose all the time. You might be better off with something a little more tense such as ... well, any flatwound compared to the TIs.

If you go to Stringbusters website [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?MAIN=http://www.stringbusters.com/ko-kat/BASS%20STRINGS/LA%20BELLA/"]http://www.stringbusters.com/frameset.asp?...NGS/LA%20BELLA/[/url] you will see there are a few different gauges of La Bella Flats (all codes start 760F). The standard gauge ones (45-105) are thicker than TIs and would almost certainly in my view take slight downtuning. The really heavy Jamerson ones ( 52-110) would definitely take it but are thick as transatlantic cables to my hands!

Edited by Clarky

Thanks for that. Looks like La Bella standard flats are the way to go then - though out of stock at the moment.

Possibly a stupid question but would extra long ones be ok - is it just a question of winding them round more?! :) They are the same price.

[quote name='Paul S' post='801131' date='Apr 9 2010, 06:24 PM']Possibly a stupid question but would extra long ones be ok - is it just a question of winding them round more?! :) They are the same price.[/quote]
With flats, it can be risky to wind the unsilked portion of the string due to greater likelihood of breakage. I wouldn't recommend it - nor through-body stringing.

[quote name='Paul S' post='801131' date='Apr 9 2010, 05:24 PM']Thanks for that. Looks like La Bella standard flats are the way to go then - though out of stock at the moment.[/quote]

Maybe not. If you're thinking about La Bella Deep Talkin' flats, these will certainly feel stiffer than your current TIs, but La Bella is what I'd reference as being a medium feel, where TI is a soft. If you want a stiffer string then D'addario Chromes are what you'd reference as stiff, and Dean Markley flats as very stiff.

Hmm, never straight forward is it. A bonus is that the D'Addarios 50-105 are in stock... but they aren't really cheap enough to start experimenting with on a whim.

Just a thought - when I bought my Scavenger bass it was already strung with some gorgeous but quite heavy and stiff flats - they are still on there and a different feel entirely to the TI Jazz flats. They have black silk at the business end and a brass ball at t'other end - would this be a clue as to what they are?

As they were in stock and I didn't want to hang around for the La Bellas I bought D'Addario Chrome flats, 50-105. One set will go on a bass with regular tuning, the others will be detuned to E# - basses are similar so it should be a decent comparison. I'll report back when I get them back from the set up/clean as to how the detune affects tension etc.

[quote name='Paul S' post='808109' date='Apr 16 2010, 10:21 AM']As they were in stock and I didn't want to hang around for the La Bellas I bought D'Addario Chrome flats, 50-105. One set will go on a bass with regular tuning, the others will be detuned to E# - basses are similar so it should be a decent comparison. I'll report back when I get them back from the set up/clean as to how the detune affects tension etc.[/quote]

Pretty sure E# is an F, and you really bend E[sup]b[/sup] :)

Partial update.

Got both basses back yesterday afternoon and took one to rehearsal last night. Westone Thunder 1A dropped a semi-tone. Compared to the Tomastik flats on my Fender Jaguar, which I had been using previously, the D'Addario chromes were MUCH better. The extra guage and obvious tension in the strings made playing feel more natural. We also drop down the E to D for 'Slither', so I effectively dropped down to C# - handled it nicely.

I can still make no comparison with same strings played with regular tuning but as it was last night was a big improvement.

Have to add I am loving the Thunder 1A bass, too. Exactly the right sound I have been chasing when used active but rolled back a quarter turn. And it is a joy to play.