Why become a member? ×

What cab would be suitable for this head?

dirtylittleherbert

Something like a 2x10 would be good should be suitable to set me away then I can add another cab at a later date. Will I need at least a 500w speaker if the output of the LG is 2x500w at 4 ohms? This is the part I'm not sure of.

Oh and I think I'm gonna need an fx pedal as our guitarist has a bit of a kasabian fetish, any decent ones that won't break the bank?

Cheers folks.

These are going cheap:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83334"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83334[/url]

Both 4ohm so would be great for the Ashdown you have, only 300w each but that shouldn't be a problem, you'll still be able to get enough volume i think

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='799699' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:24 PM']These are going cheap:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83334"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83334[/url]

Both 4ohm so would be great for the Ashdown you have, only 300w each but that shouldn't be a problem, you'll still be able to get enough volume i think[/quote]

Wouldn't each cab need to be at least 500w tho? Or would I see them go up in smoke?

Not really, the LG amps are quiet for their specified wattage and with 2 cabs you'd get volume without cranking the head, certainly more than one equivalent 600w cab @ 4ohms. More headroom too

Wattage ratings have little bearing on exactly how much a cab can handle and how loud it can go. I guess the only way to evaluate them is to try em, they seem to have a good rep as gigging cabs

I have the 500w Superfly (same power section as the LG500 i think), it's nowhere near as loud as my 500w LMII.

[quote name='voxpop' post='799749' date='Apr 8 2010, 01:02 PM']How about my Genz Benz 2 x 10 cab.....light, powerful and punchy sound.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83516"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=83516[/url][/quote]

That would be perfect but I didn't have that much £ to spend unfortunately

Having tried the same amp through Eden cabs I came to the conclusion that Ashdown exaggerate the output of their amps.

Buy a 4 ohm Schroeder BMF 1212 cab....so light you can pick it up with one hand but handles 1000w. That's what I've got. No point in humping huge great stacks around unless you're planning on playing huge venues in which case will require you to go through the PA anyway.

THE SPEAKERS ARE AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR SET UP!

Edited by skampino

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='799727' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:45 PM']Wouldn't each cab need to be at least 500w tho? Or would I see them go up in smoke?[/quote]

The amp will only put out it's maximum power (1000 watts if it really [i]is[/i] that powerful!) when it's running flat out. It's highly unlikely you will ever need such an amp running flat out so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to match the power handling of the cabs to the claimed output of the amp!

Remember though that you will only get the max power if the total impedance of the cab/cabs is 4 ohms! Two 8 ohm cabs will give the desired result, as will one 4 ohm cab. If you run it through one 8 ohm cab you will "only" get (at a guess) around 600 watts. Still a [i][b]LOT[/b][/i] of power for a regular band setting, but again you will only get this amount of power if the amp runs flat out.

Basically, what you have in your LG1000 is [b][i]loads[/i][/b] of headroom (power in reserve if you like).

If you could stretch to a BareFaced Big One or Vintage, I suspect your sound would be [b][i]awesome[/i][/b]! Interestingly though, the Big One runs at SIX ohms, so you wouldn't quite get the full kilowatt (that sounds cool doesn't it?!), but the sensitivity of the cab would make it sound even louder! Confusing? You bet!

As already stated, the choice of speaker cabs is a massive part of what your eventual "sound" will be - so try as many as you can and choose carefully (or, on the other hand, if you're like me - just buy the first one(s) that you like the look of and can afford!!). There are loads of great choices on here, and some brilliant prices. Good luck man!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='799841' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:38 PM']The amp will only put out it's maximum power (1000 watts if it really [i]is[/i] that powerful!) when it's running flat out. It's highly unlikely you will ever need such an amp running flat out so I wouldn't worry too much about trying to match the power handling of the cabs to the claimed output of the amp!

Remember though that you will only get the max power if the total impedance of the cab/cabs is 4 ohms! Two 8 ohm cabs will give the desired result, as will one 4 ohm cab. If you run it through one 8 ohm cab you will "only" get (at a guess) around 600 watts. Still a [i][b]LOT[/b][/i] of power for a regular band setting, but again you will only get this amount of power if the amp runs flat out.

Basically, what you have in your LG1000 is [b][i]loads[/i][/b] of headroom (power in reserve if you like).

If you could stretch to a BareFaced Big One or Vintage, I suspect your sound would be [b][i]awesome[/i][/b]! Interestingly though, the Big One runs at SIX ohms, so you wouldn't quite get the full kilowatt (that sounds cool doesn't it?!), but the sensitivity of the cab would make it sound even louder! Confusing? You bet!

As already stated, the choice of speaker cabs is a massive part of what your eventual "sound" will be - so try as many as you can and choose carefully (or, on the other hand, if you're like me - just buy the first one(s) that you like the look of and can afford!!). There are loads of great choices on here, and some brilliant prices. Good luck man![/quote]

Cheers mate that makes things a little easier becasue the LG1000 is 2x500 watts I thought I would need a speaker with at least 500w of power. I think I'm gonna have to get an older amp I don't mind how it looks as long as the sound is good.

[quote name='dirtylittleherbert' post='799849' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:47 PM']Cheers mate that makes things a little easier becasue the LG1000 is 2x500 watts I thought I would need a speaker with at least 500w of power. I think I'm gonna have to get an older amp I don't mind how it looks as long as the sound is good.[/quote]

I'm fairly sure this means that it has two channels that can either be run [b]separately[/b] (like two separate 500 watt amps) or "[b]bridged[/b]" together to get a single-channel 1000 watt amp.

[quote name='Conan' post='799852' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:50 PM']I'm fairly sure this means that it has two channels that can either be run [b]separately[/b] (like two separate 500 watt amps) or "[b]bridged[/b]" together to get a single-channel 1000 watt amp.[/quote]

Hm I thought the LG 1000 was non bridgeable if thats a word. I am prepared to be corrected however.

[quote name='Conan' post='799841' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:38 PM']Remember though that you will only get the max power if the total impedance of the cab/cabs is 4 ohms! Two 8 ohm cabs will give the desired result, as will one 4 ohm cab. If you run it through one 8 ohm cab you will "only" get (at a guess) around 600 watts. Still a [i][b]LOT[/b][/i] of power for a regular band setting, but again you will only get this amount of power if the amp runs flat out.[/quote]

It's much trickier with the mini Ashdown gear to get the max wattage out of the amp, you need 2 x 4ohm cabs or one cab with the speakers wired to 2 x 4ohm outputs.

Basically if you want a single cab solution to use both outputs the only choice is the Superfly cab Ashdown did a while ago, or mod an existing cab.

Typically with one standard cab the OP is looking at using only half of his amp at 4ohms or 8ohms, which is 500w or 370w (IIRC).

It's one drawback of buying a compact Ashdown head, by the time you've bought appropriate cabs the rig isn't compact anymore!

Hey Steven

This is what I bought for the LG

A Flite Cabinet it’s a light (50 lb) stereo 4x10. It was built by Kurt Meyer at Flite for a US customer who wanted two 2x10s put into a single 4x10 sized cabinet and still have it be superlight.

[url="http://www.flitecabs.com/"]http://www.flitecabs.com/[/url]

The specs are as follows:

- each side is a 3-way 2x10 cab; they are built together to make it a 4x10 (a la old Ampeg SVT cabs).
- Rated at 300 watts RMS @ 4 ohms/side - 600 watts total
- Each side has two 10” woofers, a 5" mid, and a tweeter
- Speakers are Eminence.
- Each side has attenuators for the mids and highs
- Each side has two Speakon connectors and a 1/4" input connector
- The previous owner said the efficiency rating was 99db @ 1watt/meter.
- comes with a custom non-padded cover
- 26” high x 28” wide x 14.75” deep
- Weight 50 lbs

You just take separate outs from the LG into each side of the cab it works perfectly, my issue was how light can a 4x10 be and the answer is not very!

Cheers

Stevie

[attachment=46758:cab.jpg]

[quote name='steviedee' post='799878' date='Apr 8 2010, 03:14 PM']Hey Steven

This is what I bought for the LG

A Flite Cabinet it’s a light (50 lb) stereo 4x10. It was built by Kurt Meyer at Flite for a US customer who wanted two 2x10s put into a single 4x10 sized cabinet and still have it be superlight.

[url="http://www.flitecabs.com/"]http://www.flitecabs.com/[/url]

The specs are as follows:

- each side is a 3-way 2x10 cab; they are built together to make it a 4x10 (a la old Ampeg SVT cabs).
- Rated at 300 watts RMS @ 4 ohms/side - 600 watts total
- Each side has two 10” woofers, a 5" mid, and a tweeter
- Speakers are Eminence.
- Each side has attenuators for the mids and highs
- Each side has two Speakon connectors and a 1/4" input connector
- The previous owner said the efficiency rating was 99db @ 1watt/meter.
- comes with a custom non-padded cover
- 26” high x 28” wide x 14.75” deep
- Weight 50 lbs

You just take separate outs from the LG into each side of the cab it works perfectly, my issue was how light can a 4x10 be and the answer is not very!

Cheers

Stevie

[attachment=46758:cab.jpg][/quote]

That looks pretty tasty that like but I'll probably have to settle for something old and dirty and 'orrible.

Remind me never to try and buy a bass rig while I'm in the process of buying a house.