Why become a member? ×

Manson

dougal

Came across this on my travels: [url="http://www.gumtree.com/london/94/56682794.html"]http://www.gumtree.com/london/94/56682794.html[/url]

I've heard of Manson guitars, but never their basses.

Anyone played / used / bought / sold?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='799483' date='Apr 8 2010, 09:01 AM']John Paul Jones uses them. Been going for donkeys.

His dad Charles was a nasty piece of work, though.[/quote]

Who? Charles Jones?

BB

Edit - nice thru neck older one at the Gallery in That London for half that.

Edited by BarnacleBob

[quote name='BassBod' post='799579' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:31 AM']Nice very British basses...but people try to make ££ on the JPJ assosciation. Buy them for what they are, not who plays them[/quote]

His brother makes wonderful acoustics...Personally I can't stand the guitars he makes for Muse but a friend has a wonderful custom Tele with tone to die for, I'd assume his basses are of a very high quality as well.

Edited by LawrenceH

I used to own this one

[attachment=46740:DSCN0744.JPG]

Fantastic bass, with the thinnest neck I've ever seen. Hugh Manson's designs are a bit of an acquired taste but very high quality construction. His late 70's to mid 80's stuff has a lovely "brit bass" vibe. Totally worthless compared to a Wal from the same era (probably much less than Jaydee or Status) but lovely basses all the same.

Edited by BassBod

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='799483' date='Apr 8 2010, 09:01 AM']His dad Charles was a nasty piece of work, though.[/quote]

Actually, his (Hugh's) dad was and is Andy Manson, a spectacularly gifted luthier who has produced some beautiful instruments over the last thirty five years.

[quote name='pete.young' post='800788' date='Apr 9 2010, 12:59 PM']Actually, his (Hugh's) dad was and is Andy Manson, a spectacularly gifted luthier who has produced some beautiful instruments over the last thirty five years.[/quote]

I thought they were brothers?

I've owned a couple of Hugh's "E" basses, one of which was made for me with different kinds of shark inlaid on the fingerboard (!). The workmanship was superb, and the wood he uses sublime, but they are very expensive. When I eventually traded it in, I believe that the guy behind me in the shop actually bought it as soon as I left, and went to the cafe outside, where he phoned his mate to come and have a look at the fantastic bass he had just bought. Mate arrives, friend opens case, bass falls out onto hard floor and neck snaps............ I couldnt believe how unlucky the poor guy was, but Mansons got a big repair job minutes after selling the bass!

Hugh is a great guy to deal with, as are Adrian, Jay and the rest of the guys at what must be one of the friendliest and most professional music shops in the UK.