Why become a member? ×

recording

exup1000

hello people

the drummer and i made up a make shift rig last week with a mini disc recorder and and mic.i was a bit unsure how well it would record but after moving the mic around a bit it recorded pretty well the only thing is neither of us know how to transfer mini disc to the laptop so we can put it on a usb stick or even if ts possible?or is there another way which is straight forward like the mini disc set up?but easier to transfer to a laptop?

sorry in advance if this question has already been asked somewhere in here

and thanks for any help dudes

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='799357' date='Apr 7 2010, 11:41 PM']To transfer from minidisc to computer you'll need to connect the output of the MD player to the [b]line [/b]input on the PC and use something like Audacity to record it.[/quote]

Fixed!!

you should connect it to the LINE input not the MIC input.
if you connect the MD out to the MIC input you will get distortion.
use an audio software to record the minidisc and then save the recording as WAV, MP3 whatever.

Edited by bigsack

providing your signal is decent to start with, and at line level, then going into the line input on an onboard soundcard should be fine. I used to do it all the time. Velvet - I guess your pedals (or whatever you're using??) is helping.

I think the inputs on modern laptops are more robust than you guys are giving them credit for. FWIW I made no changes to the setup (preamp/FX-> 4 track-> PC) or the levels I use when switching from a "proper" soundcard on my desktop to the onboard sound on my laptop.

Anyway, I'll stop flogging this particular dead horse now :)