Why become a member? ×

62 Jazz... so what is original

Always a tricky one this!

When you alter enough of a bass when does it cease to be a 62 Jazz and become a Bitsa?

The guy confesses that the bass has had a refinish and a refret and I have to say that the scratchplate looks proper vintage but to my eye the bell plate and bridge aren't right and it might be glaringly obvious but the stamps in the neck pocket don't look 62... especially as the handwritten date says '93! :rolleyes: The body does look suitably old/vintage/relic though, so a tricky one. I'm sure that logo in the neck pocket will mean something to someone but it just doesn't look 62 and there doesn't appear to be the typical Fender overspray so is the body a replacement?

Thoughts! :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1962-Vintage-Fender-Jazz-Bass_W0QQitemZ170468367299QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item27b0b4dbc3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1962-Vintage-Fender-...=item27b0b4dbc3[/url]

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='798451' date='Apr 7 2010, 10:25 AM']I reckon the '93 stamp is by the guy who did the re-fin/re-fret in that year. Everything else seems 'in order' but I would need to have it in my mits to verify further. Bridge certainly looks a bit too clean.[/quote]

Pretty much my thoughts, especially the bridge cleanliness and the bell plate looks as clean but the pots look suitably old... dead easy to keep the pots and to have replaced the plate I suppose. The lack of tarnish/marking on the bridge and plate are kind of at odds with the tuners as well.

I'm not doubting the neck is pukka so I suppose it would make sense that the body may well have gone with the neck in the first place but does the neck pocket not look a little 'too' clean or would the guy have sanded/cleaned it out when he refinished do you think?

I like little puzzles. :)

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='798516' date='Apr 7 2010, 11:18 AM']Quite right Beedster.

For the asking (starting!) price I would want original finish, original frets, case candy and possibly a couple of Leo's original screwdrivers to be included.[/quote]

what about some of leos pens?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='798519' date='Apr 7 2010, 11:24 AM']Is the earth strip common to Jazzes from that era then? I thought it was something only MIJ versions had?[/quote]

No that is proper for early Jazzes (phased out not long after) and the MIJs are just copies of this.