Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray HH version

Jigster

[quote name='Jigster' post='798391' date='Apr 7 2010, 09:43 AM']anyone who's played/has one of these, does the neck pup offer much of a darker tone - I have a single pup Ray and am wondering what the HH offers tonally. Would go and play one, but none to be seen.

Ta[/quote]

This video should give you a fair idea

I picked one up a couple of months ago.

There are a lot of very useable sounds to be had. I tend to run both pups on and the sound is sooo much fuller with a lot more thump.

If you are ever near Swindon your more than welcome to try mine out.

yeah can see the HS pov - does that give a jazz bass type option?

i'm also wondering about G&L's with the same HH configuration - there's something sweet about a pup next to the bridge that I loved with my old Gibson EBo which I sold - (has there been a thread for guitars you wish you'd never sold, must be!!) -

love the stingray drive but thinking if a HH will get me a bit darker -

[quote name='Jigster' post='798553' date='Apr 7 2010, 11:57 AM']yeah can see the HS pov - does that give a jazz bass type option?

i'm also wondering about G&L's with the same HH configuration - there's something sweet about a pup next to the bridge that I loved with my old Gibson EBo which I sold - (has there been a thread for guitars you wish you'd never sold, must be!!) -

love the stingray drive but thinking if a HH will get me a bit darker -[/quote]

Definitely can se the HH being darker on the neck pup...warmer and fatter.

Im going for the HS as I like my single coils....and the selector switch with a HS means you can have lots of single coil options as well as the standard H option at the bridge....the S at the neck sounds very P bass like but with that EB sheen to it.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='798564' date='Apr 7 2010, 12:09 PM']Definitely can se the HH being darker on the neck pup...warmer and fatter.

Im going for the HS as I like my single coils....and the selector switch with a HS means you can have lots of single coil options as well as the standard H option at the bridge....the S at the neck sounds very P bass like but with that EB sheen to it.[/quote]

i can see the olly white P going up for a trade at this rate!!

[quote name='Jigster' post='798391' date='Apr 7 2010, 09:43 AM']anyone who's played/has one of these, does the neck pup offer much of a darker tone - I have a single pup Ray and am wondering what the HH offers tonally. Would go and play one, but none to be seen.

Ta[/quote]

I had an HH Sterling and I can see very little reason to have an H over an HH or HS. The HH configuration gives a bewildering array of tones when paired with a 3 band EQ, although all do have that distinctive musicman vibe underneath. Fat and warm to the point of Dub can be achieved with that neck Humbucker...

I won't attempt to describe the tones too much as I'm still getting used to mine....but its fair to say HH has a much broader palate.....Here's the selector rundown from my point of view...

1. The neck pickup soloed is (for me) the least usable tone. yep it is darker, but doesn't quite have the required bite on its own.

2. The two pups in combination are where the fun starts. The inner coils together retain the bright signature sound, but with the addition of a more meaty more P-like grrrr (nearly said P-ish...I probably am talking pish :-). It sounds killer, and really sets it apart. This is the one for me!

3. All 4 together....mmm not sure. I thought I'd use this all the time, but I think theres too much of the bridge pup in it for me. Maybe the HS version has a better balance? - dunno.

4. The two outer coils give really lively scooped sound. Again, sounds ace - and cuts through particularly well - and a bit different to the normal ray sound

5. (whilst running for cover) the bridge pickup soloed is exactly the same as the single H 3-band version (given usual variables of string age and all that).

[quote name='BluRay' post='798583' date='Apr 7 2010, 12:28 PM']I won't attempt to describe the tones too much as I'm still getting used to mine....but its fair to say HH has a much broader palate.....Here's the selector rundown from my point of view...

1. The neck pickup soloed is (for me) the least usable tone. yep it is darker, but doesn't quite have the required bite on its own.

2. The two pups in combination are where the fun starts. The inner coils together retain the bright signature sound, but with the addition of a more meaty more P-like grrrr (nearly said P-ish...I probably am talking pish :-). It sounds killer, and really sets it apart. This is the one for me!

3. All 4 together....mmm not sure. I thought I'd use this all the time, but I think theres too much of the bridge pup in it for me. Maybe the HS version has a better balance? - dunno.

4. The two outer coils give really lively scooped sound. Again, sounds ace - and cuts through particularly well - and a bit different to the normal ray sound

5. (whilst running for cover) the bridge pickup soloed is exactly the same as the single H 3-band version (given usual variables of string age and all that).[/quote]

yeah i think (number 2) the two pups together is what is what i imagined it might do - thanks for that

Some great sounds there in the video...and all typically MM

but it will take you ages to find them all and dial them in .... and that is without messing with the amp..

Sometimes it gets very confusing to have these sounds with so much variation on gigs..
I don't think you'll touch the amp for a good few months... or else you be chasing your tail for ever. :) :rolleyes:

You also might want to consider how those two big pups get in the way of your playing style...??

[quote name='JTUK' post='798772' date='Apr 7 2010, 03:02 PM']Some great sounds there in the video...and all typically MM

but it will take you ages to find them all and dial them in .... and that is without messing with the amp..

Sometimes it gets very confusing to have these sounds with so much variation on gigs..
I don't think you'll touch the amp for a good few months... or else you be chasing your tail for ever. :) :rolleyes:

You also might want to consider how those two big pups get in the way of your playing style...??[/quote]

yeah that's a pretty fair point - i had a whirl on a G&L a while back and was bedazzled by the pup/selector options

[quote name='JTUK' post='798772' date='Apr 7 2010, 03:02 PM']Some great sounds there in the video...and all typically MM

You also might want to consider how those two big pups get in the way of your playing style...??[/quote]

Its not that bad....middle coils, trebble down a bit. Hello Glastonbury!
:-)