Why become a member? ×

5ers from £700 to £1000

ThomBassmonkey

As title pretty much. 5 stringers within that budget.

I've been looking around and Warwick (2nd hand) and EBMMs (which I can get for trade) are pretty high on my list. Specifically the $$ and SR 5 (maybe even save myself a lot of money and go for one of the Sterling Ray 35s) I'm also tempted by the idea of a Fender Jazz V. I'm tempted by another Ibanez but I've had my BTB406QM so long that I think I'd like a change away from the Ibanez style necks.

Really I'm just kinda fishing around because I've never really looked at higher end basses apart from to drool over and there aren't a lot of decent shops for bass stock around the Nottingham/Derby area so it would mean a bit of travel and I'd rather have some suggestions to look at before I set off.

For tone I'm looking for something that works with my GK rig, nice and fat low end without losing any clarity, served with a generous portion of punch.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

Ok, I've tried out a few things, so I'm bumping this with added description!

Basically I've been playing my BTB406QM for a long time and I'm very used to the neck, I have no problems with my hands so I could probably adjust to any neck size, but I'd rather have a slimmer neck profile. I've recently fallen in love with Fender J necks.

Tone capabilities, the more the merrier. I tend to only use one tone from my bass, but I like to play a lot to get it. If the bass's fundamental tone is something I like, then just tweaking it is perfect. If it's something I don't like with the EQ flat, I find it a chore to find a tone I like. I do like having a choice of pickup though, but I'd rather have just a neck pickup than just a bridge one. To try and describe the tone I like again, I like it punchy and clear but still with a fat low end and good definition.

Looks wise, I'd like something that looks fairly interesting. As nice as Jazz basses are, I find them fairly boring. Also something with a nice wood grain would be perfect, it doesn't have to be AAAAA quilted maple, I like the ovangkol of Warwicks etc too, I just like grains.

The basses that I'm looking at at the moment (as mentioned above) are Warwicks, EBMMs and Fender Jazz Vs. I'm sure there must be more out there that're available to try around the midlands somewhere.

I would test what you can, as you probably know. I tried a Warwick $$ Streamer 5 but it just wasnt me at all...the neck was completely different to what Im used to. Good for some, didnt work for me.

I have been told time and time again that a Stingray 5 is very flexible....and I think thats what Im going for. EB makes damn good basses, and apparently there 5 strings are made to be a 5 string, not just a bass with an added string.

They are pricey-ish, but you definitely get what you pay for with them.

Im thinking of getting one on order very soon now I know what pickups I want (H+S).

EDIT: GK and Stingrays works very well.

Edited by Musicman20

Gibson Thunderbird Studio V
Amazing and well within that budget.
The only 5er I own and definately the nicest of the ones I´ve tried.
Fast, slim neck and seriously hot pickups!
Not too much neck dive either.
Also, it looks bloody cool! :)

Never tried a Warwick 5er, but have heard good things about them.

Stingray 5 has a great low B,real comfy neck profile and feel,is warm fat and punchy sounding all at the same time and blends in with everything. Leave the switch on the parallel setting,add a little bit of bass boost and forget about the controls after that. imo an easy bass to love for its simplicity and for doing what it does so well without fuss.

Spector Spector Spector!

Me, a fan boy? Never! :)

SR5s are rather nice too. As for shop recommendations there's Electro Music in Doncaster if you're willing to make the trek. They usually stock a variety of high end basses - Warwicks, Musicman etc.

Edited by thedonutman

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='805486' date='Apr 13 2010, 10:33 PM']Stingray 5 has a great low B,real comfy neck profile and feel,is warm fat and punchy sounding all at the same time and blends in with everything. Leave the switch on the parallel setting,add a little bit of bass boost and forget about the controls after that. imo an easy bass to love for its simplicity and for doing what it does so well without fuss.[/quote]

I was thinking SR would be a very good possibility, but I tried a 5er at Rattle and Drum and it just sounds lifeless to me. I think maybe the strings were just dead, but it's very offputting when that's my only real experience of them.

In terms of bang for buck Warwick are hard to beat s/h as the market seems so depressed.
I've picked up some real bargains recently, and every one is a belter. I've never come across a richer, more even tone across the board, or a tighter B on a 34" scale.
Of course they are marmite basses - you either love them or hate them.
I'd steer clear of Fender 5's as the bottom B just doesn't cut it.
MM stingray 5's can be very good, but I feel they're a one trick pony - I've had two and left the selector on the neck coil the whole time as both the other settings sounded tinny and thin (not like $$, or the even better Fender Roscoe Beck V). Of course you could try a SR5 HH but good luck finding one s/h as they seem fairly rare (and way too much for your budget new).
Laklands are worth a whirl, not my cup of tea really but well made and tight B-string.
Also check out some of what Cort makes - not shabby at all. Ditto MTD Kingston.

[quote name='XB26354' post='805515' date='Apr 13 2010, 11:04 PM']In terms of bang for buck Warwick are hard to beat s/h as the market seems so depressed.
I've picked up some real bargains recently, and every one is a belter. I've never come across a richer, more even tone across the board, or a tighter B on a 34" scale.
Of course they are marmite basses - you either love them or hate them.
I'd steer clear of Fender 5's as the bottom B just doesn't cut it.
MM stingray 5's can be very good, but I feel they're a one trick pony - I've had two and left the selector on the neck coil the whole time as both the other settings sounded tinny and thin (not like $$, or the even better Fender Roscoe Beck V). Of course you could try a SR5 HH but good luck finding one s/h as they seem fairly rare (and way too much for your budget new).
Laklands are worth a whirl, not my cup of tea really but well made and tight B-string.
Also check out some of what Cort makes - not shabby at all. Ditto MTD Kingston.[/quote]

I think I'm gonna go with a Warwick, the prices 2nd hand are silly so it makes sense to try them out since they've been my dream bass for years.

If I do decide that I don't get on with the neck, I don't expect I'll have too much hassle moving it on. There's been a few on this forum that've been very tempting!

[quote name='MythSte' post='806061' date='Apr 14 2010, 02:18 PM']EBMM Stingray 5 and GK is tried and tested and deadly good...!

If it was me It'd be a tossup between a nice Corvette or an SR5. Let us know how you get on![/quote]

I have a "thing" about using other peoples' gear though, even though it's purely coincidental that they're what I'm looking at, I don't want someone to look at my gear and think "he's trying to be Flea!" haha. If I find a SR5 that feels and sounds perfect, that's more important than what other people think, but it does put me off looking as hard at similar setups to other people.

I might take a trip up to Electro Music (as was suggested by thedonutman :) ) and see what they have in stock there, I really am interested in trying out another SR5 because I'm sure that the one I tried was a dud (probably due to strings) or if I just didn't quite get on with just having the single humbucker (it sounded ok on single coil setting, didn't much like the others though) I'd like to know if it's that. It's just a long way for a purely hypothetical situation of actually finding a SR5 2nd hand. I'd also love to try out a Bongo 5, but they're even rarer on the 2nd hand market.

I've been offered a Thumb BO for a very reasonable price and a Corvette $$ for about the same money on these very forums, very tempted by them both. I just need time to try and get used to the neck after a 6 string BTB neck. But if I don't get on with a Warwick neck, either should be fairly easy to sell on I expect. Heard great things about both these basses too and from the small goes I've had on them (well, Thumb BO 5 and Corvette $$ 4, not the exact ones I've been offered) they both feel nice.

If anyone around the Notts/Derbys area has a Lakland, G&L, Spector, EBMM or Warwick (or anything else that could be a possibility) they're willing to let me get my grubby mitts on, let me know!

There's a lot of options that I'd love to have a look at but there's just nowhere to try them out.

Seems any basses that cost more than about £500 (minus Fender US Jazzes) new are a pain to find to try out.

Got both a Warwick NT 5 and a Fender Deluxe Jazz 5- both great basses- still cant touch my Low End though- even though that was the cheapest of the three!!

The Warwick is a 34" and is a bit too long for me whilst the Fender and Low End are perfect- really easy to play and very versatile sounding- probably prefer them to the Warwick all in all.

bob

I've been trying to listen out for good bass sounds I can use as an example, but of course each time I hear one I like, I'm driving or otherwise occupied and soon forget.

I really like the bass tone used in Jamiroquai stuff, but I play rock, so unsure how it'd sound in context. I wouldn't mind something a bit growlier though. I don't use any FX so sometimes with certain EQs I've found myself sounding too clean when our guitarist's Mesa starts making a fuss. I do want it to stand out from the guitarist's tone though, I don't want something that'll just blend in and fatten out the sound, I want to hold my own space since I do often carry melodies.

It's incredibly hard to describe what I'm looking for tone-wise. :rolleyes: I'm actually pretty flexible which isn't helping. Beefy and defined are my main two and in the price range I'm looking at, I don't think there'll be too many basses that sound week and muddy (at least I hope not). I do like the sound of a neck J but also like some added growl of a bridge J (My Ibanez is usually about 65/35 neck/bridge). Not so keen on buckers, but can't you coil tap $$s? I like the feel and sound of a Jazz bass (tried a MIM), but I don't really find them that inspiring which is why I've been eyeing up Warwicks (J/J pups and look interesting to me), that's not to say I've ruled out Fender/clones but since I'm having trouble finding any to try, I don't want to buy a bass I find uninspiring to look at just on the chance that I'll find it inspiring to play.

I've only played the Thumb sat down and it's been a long time since I've had a go on a Corvette (std, not $$) so can't really remember that. The Thumb's scale didn't feel too bad, but I'm used to my 35" BTB scale, so that probably helped. How's their positioning on a strap? Do they sit in a similar position to most basses or do they feel like they're a little bit towards the fretting hand? There's something about the size of the body that makes it look like it'd be a bit differently positioned to most basses. I didn't get a chance to try out the Thumb plugged in, but from what I've heard online they do sound like the blend of pickups I like (as above, 65/35) as well as very unique, which I like.

theFALLEN, thanks for the offer but I've played a BTB406QM for the last 9 years and fancy something new as well as moving to a 5 string. :) If I just wanted to move to 5 strings, I'd definitely look into picking yours up, I still LOVE my BTB, one of the best basses I've ever played.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='806315' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:54 PM']I've been trying to listen out for good bass sounds I can use as an example, but of course each time I hear one I like, I'm driving or otherwise occupied and soon forget.

I really like the bass tone used in Jamiroquai stuff, but I play rock, so unsure how it'd sound in context. I wouldn't mind something a bit growlier though. I don't use any FX so sometimes with certain EQs I've found myself sounding too clean when our guitarist's Mesa starts making a fuss. I do want it to stand out from the guitarist's tone though, I don't want something that'll just blend in and fatten out the sound, I want to hold my own space since I do often carry melodies.

It's incredibly hard to describe what I'm looking for tone-wise. :rolleyes: I'm actually pretty flexible which isn't helping. Beefy and defined are my main two and in the price range I'm looking at, I don't think there'll be too many basses that sound week and muddy (at least I hope not). I do like the sound of a neck J but also like some added growl of a bridge J (My Ibanez is usually about 65/35 neck/bridge). Not so keen on buckers, but can't you coil tap $$s? I like the feel and sound of a Jazz bass (tried a MIM), but I don't really find them that inspiring which is why I've been eyeing up Warwicks (J/J pups and look interesting to me), that's not to say I've ruled out Fender/clones but since I'm having trouble finding any to try, I don't want to buy a bass I find uninspiring to look at just on the chance that I'll find it inspiring to play.

I've only played the Thumb sat down and it's been a long time since I've had a go on a Corvette (std, not $$) so can't really remember that. The Thumb's scale didn't feel too bad, but I'm used to my 35" BTB scale, so that probably helped. How's their positioning on a strap? Do they sit in a similar position to most basses or do they feel like they're a little bit towards the fretting hand? There's something about the size of the body that makes it look like it'd be a bit differently positioned to most basses. I didn't get a chance to try out the Thumb plugged in, but from what I've heard online they do sound like the blend of pickups I like (as above, 65/35) as well as very unique, which I like.

theFALLEN, thanks for the offer but I've played a BTB406QM for the last 9 years and fancy something new as well as moving to a 5 string. :) If I just wanted to move to 5 strings, I'd definitely look into picking yours up, I still LOVE my BTB, one of the best basses I've ever played.[/quote]

No worries dude, good luck in finding what you want. keep me in mind if you change your mind!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='806315' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:54 PM']I've been trying to listen out for good bass sounds I can use as an example, but of course each time I hear one I like, I'm driving or otherwise occupied and soon forget.

It's incredibly hard to describe what I'm looking for tone-wise. :lol: I'm actually pretty flexible which isn't helping. Beefy and defined are my main two and in the price range I'm looking at, I don't think there'll be too many basses that sound week and muddy (at least I hope not). I do like the sound of a neck J but also like some added growl of a bridge J (My Ibanez is usually about 65/35 neck/bridge). Not so keen on buckers, but can't you coil tap $$s? I like the feel and sound of a Jazz bass (tried a MIM), but I don't really find them that inspiring which is why I've been eyeing up Warwicks (J/J pups and look interesting to me), that's not to say I've ruled out Fender/clones but since I'm having trouble finding any to try, I don't want to buy a bass I find uninspiring to look at just on the chance that I'll find it inspiring to play.

theFALLEN, thanks for the offer but I've played a BTB406QM for the last 9 years and fancy something new as well as moving to a 5 string. :) If I just wanted to move to 5 strings, I'd definitely look into picking yours up, I still LOVE my BTB, one of the best basses I've ever played.[/quote]

Ima big fan of the MM buckers, but not many others. BUT, the H+S Stingray 5 allows for single coil usage :rolleyes:

[quote name='Musicman20' post='806410' date='Apr 14 2010, 07:33 PM']Ima big fan of the MM buckers, but not many others. BUT, the H+S Stingray 5 allows for single coil usage :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm sure that HS (or HH) SR5s are even rarer than standard ones. I might give Electro a bell sometime this week just to see what they have in, then pop down if they have some of these options in but it's an hour's drive, so it'll only be worth it if they have something I actually have the option of getting (and I'll feel guilty anyway for trying out one of their basses, then buying 2nd hand).

Just did a search in the FS section, no HH/HS SR5s as far as I can see. :) :lol:

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='806437' date='Apr 14 2010, 07:57 PM']I'm sure that HS (or HH) SR5s are even rarer than standard ones. I might give Electro a bell sometime this week just to see what they have in, then pop down if they have some of these options in but it's an hour's drive, so it'll only be worth it if they have something I actually have the option of getting (and I'll feel guilty anyway for trying out one of their basses, then buying 2nd hand).

Just did a search in the FS section, no HH/HS SR5s as far as I can see. :) :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah, I had to go by youtube demos and reviews and then read into the design of the pickups.

Ive gone through Warwick, Lakland, Fender, and tried some more exotic manufacturers as well. None of them have worked for me in a 5 string format. Lakland felt right, but I had three different basses all from new, and they all had poor QC. Thats just me being picky, but for £1000-£1200, I think we all should be.

Ernie Ball Ray 5is the one 5 string bass I wanted when I was a wee young un, and now they have the HS, you get the classic Ray sound, plus lots of other options.

There is a great demo of the sounds here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ef2CQZxXo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Ef2CQZxXo...feature=related[/url]

Personally, the Ray H sound is great, but the single coil at the bridge and then neck sound amazing.

The Warwick $$ pickups to me are more wooly, less aggressive, and not as 'wow' as the Stingray H. Thats after testing them as well.

Im 99% sure im ordering a Ray 5 HS. Purely as Im picky with colour and everyone seems to be selling the colours I dont like!

Well, thanks to Jmanfunk, I came home with this t'other day:

Just re-string it B-G after spending hours driving around being messed about by shops (he had it E-C) and it sounds great, very clear sounding and very distinctive. Can't wait to crank it up a bit at practice tomorrow!

Thanks for all the help, a lot of good advice in this thread. :)

Edited by ThomBassmonkey