Why become a member? ×

Peavey Milestone I - Restoration

Eight

Well i have just picked the Peavey up and it really does appear to be a milestone 1. The guy himself said he had researched it a little and found it a strange configuration. But he seemed to me to be the honest type with little or nothing to gain on a cheapo bass ebay sale. All we could think was maybe it had been altered in the past.I will look for evidence, but can see non at the moment.

I have just read that Peavey only have serial numbers for US made models. Sort of begs the question, Why on earth give serial numbers to any made outside of the US in the first place ?! Does anyone have any inkling if this is correct?

pics below.

Edited by daz

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='804332' date='Apr 12 2010, 10:41 PM']Yeah, that's a Milestone III, just like mine :)
AFAIK the I is a J copy, the II is a P and the III is a hybrid of both.[/quote]

I've got two Milestone IIIs, and they have a longer top horn (which makes them well balanced, given the light weight of the body).

[attachment=47326:Ms3R.jpg]

No idea what a II looks like, but I think the IV is the same as the III but with a single P pickup instead of the 2 J pickups of the III.
Quite fancy a IV, just to see if there's any significant difference in tone. Great basses.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='Earbrass' post='806296' date='Apr 14 2010, 05:31 PM']I've got two Milestone IIIs, and they have a longer top horn (which makes them well balanced, given the light weight of the body).

[attachment=47326:Ms3R.jpg][/quote]

Yeah the Milestone III looks like the horn is two frets longer than on mine.

Sorry Eight not meaning to hijack your thread or anything. :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' post='806403' date='Apr 14 2010, 07:24 PM']Sorry Eight not meaning to hijack your thread or anything. :)[/quote]
Not a problem - go for it.

I have nothing to add yet on my restoration project anyway - still sanding. :lol:

Bit puzzled by your Milestone there. Unless it's just had a later (precision) pickguard put on it... if you took the guard off (not that I'm saying you should go to that effort) then if it was a Milestone I body (and assuming it hasn't been refinished) then I'd think you find some unused screw holes around the area where the control cavity is.

If not, then presumably it's either not a I body; or has been well refinished; or perhaps (most excitingly) came from the factory like that. Which would be coooool!

Re: serial numbers. My understanding goes that the Milestone Is were made in Indonesia or Korea, but the serial numbers aren't marked for date or location. :rolleyes: Peavey didn't reply to my e-mail about mine. On the Milestone I, the number would have been on the little sticker on the heel of the neck. And would probably have looked something like 00807030 (which is mine). I wonder if that number stamped on the neck bolt plate is the clue to this bass's strange construction???

Edit:
Have you plugged it in yet? How does it play?

Edited by Eight

[quote name='Eight' post='806488' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:35 PM']Have you plugged it in yet? How does it play?[/quote]

It badly needs new strings at the moment. Hopefully it'll have some by the weekend. But the action and feel are great, no buzzing or anything.

All i need then is to (try and find?) buy a decent set of flats or half rounds that dont cost m ore than the guitar did! :)

Edited by daz

7-0 to black. Wow. Thanks guys - looks like black it is. :)

Just put another hour of sanding in (not done that much overall I suppose) and got the face of the guitar (and most of the sides) cleared down to the wood. I'd only intended to take the lacquer off but once I've finally broken through the nitroceluouse, the rest comes off pretty easy.

Maybe get the initial sanding done in two more sessions.

Edited by Eight

[quote name='daz' date='Apr 14 2010, 01:32 PM' post='806018']
Well i have just picked the Peavey up and it really does appear to be a milestone 1. The guy himself said he had researched it a little and found it a strange configuration. But he seemed to me to be the honest type with little or nothing to gain on a cheapo bass ebay sale. All we could think was maybe it had been altered in the past.I will look for evidence, but can see non at the moment.

I have just read that Peavey only have serial numbers for US made models. Sort of begs the question, Why on earth give serial numbers to any made outside of the US in the first place ?! Does anyone have any inkling if this is correct?

Another One Here...tempted myself

• 1 year later...

[quote name='daz' post='1226721' date='May 10 2011, 09:03 PM']what ever happened to this bass ?[/quote]
Well...

I actually just finished sanding the body. :) That has to be some new kind of record, maybe, but all is continuing as planned. Hahahah.

MOTHER f***er!!!

Gave the body a nice clean down and was just admiring my handiwork (thinking the body was smoother than Dean Martin on the pull) when... I dropped it. Couldn't have landed in a worse place and I now need to fill a few dents and re-sand. Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Don't you hate it when the little fragments of info you've gathered just mysteriously group together over time in your brain, and you realised you've f***ed up.

The loose wire I mentioned early in the thread was presumably supposed to attach to the bridge... via the little dent/hole on the top... which I just filled. Arrrggh.

Managed to shoot a couple of coats of primer on yesterday (Homebase's finest). Went fine but the matte grey revealed one or two small contouring irregularities, and a couple of odd spots.

No problem. Little bit more wood filler in places and I expected to be sanding these these coats and applying more anyway.

Edited by Eight

• 2 weeks later...

Still not finished the primer stage OR ordered a new pickguard.

Good job really. After seeing the 50th Anniversary Jazz in BGM, I decided this bass needs a thumbrest - couple of quid and some precision drilling later, the body now has another extra hole and the pickguard is finally ready to be sent off as a template.

Slow progress... but progress nonetheless.

Edited by Eight

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...