Why become a member? ×

Power supply - Diago or this one?

JimBobTTD

Hello

A gander on Ebay came up with [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220462633931&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]this[/url] which looks like it might do the job just as well as the [url="http://www.diago.co.uk/pedal-power/pedal-power/"]Diago[/url], which seems (or seemed) to be the business as far as I can tell.

From what I can see:

The Ebay one's action takes place at the wall socket, and then the power is carried up to the pedals. The Diago seems to have a box on your pedalboard which powers your pedals. There is a long wire from this box to the wall.
They are both 3000mA
Both claim to be noise & hum free.
Both claim to work all over the world.

So go on...am I right in thinking that the only real difference is £45 and box at wall v box on board? Is the Diago's box on board such an improvement that it is worth the extra outlay?

Please help!

The one you're looking at on EBay is made and sold for/by effectpowersupplies.com

I recently got their 1.3mA power supply, capable of powering 5 pedals. Cost £22.99 including delivery if i recall correctly, and it's superb. It really doesn't add any noise whatsoever to the signal chain, and is more than capable of powering any 9v pedals that you care to chuck at it. Super price as well. I'd highly reccommend it if you want to go for that sort of power supply, if you want to go for one with a 'box' you can mount on your board, or one that you can plug leads into (a la TRex fuel tank and co), then look elsewhere.

[quote name='cm261' post='796671' date='Apr 5 2010, 03:46 PM']The one you're looking at on EBay is made and sold for/by effectpowersupplies.com

I recently got their 1.3mA power supply, capable of powering 5 pedals. Cost £22.99 including delivery if i recall correctly, and it's superb. It really doesn't add any noise whatsoever to the signal chain, and is more than capable of powering any 9v pedals that you care to chuck at it. Super price as well. I'd highly reccommend it if you want to go for that sort of power supply, if you want to go for one with a 'box' you can mount on your board, or one that you can plug leads into (a la TRex fuel tank and co), then look elsewhere.[/quote]

That will power more than 5 pedals, depending on their current draw. Digital pedals will obviously draw more current, but analogue distortions and such usually don't draw much more than about 30mA (I think!).

If you want the Diago style brick, then I would recommend this instead, essentially the same thing but cheaper:

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...p;productsid=12[/url]

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='Higgie' post='796705' date='Apr 5 2010, 04:17 PM']That will power more than 5 pedals, depending on their current draw. Digital pedals will obviously draw more current, but analogue distortions and such usually don't draw much more than about 30mA (I think!).[/quote]

Ah yes, what I meant was that it has 5 adapters for pedals. The current it provides will power a lot more pedals if you daisy chain.

Have a look at[url="http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/1spot"] these[/url] - good price, compact and you can power loads of pedals with them. They sell them at digital village.

Does that "Stompbox 8" from effectpowersupplies.com have the 8-way daisy chain hard-wired to the actual PSU, or is there a single connector coming from it that connects to the daisy chain?

If the 8-way connector [i]is[/i] hard-wired, where can I get a 9v PSU with a single 2.1mm centre negative connector with a high mA rating, like 3000 mA or more?

I'm going to use GigRig Distributors, rather than a power brick type PSU, but I don't want to pay €100 for the GigRig Generator 5000 mA PSU.

I think I swallow the thoery that the more mA available over the exact rated sum of all pedals, the better, and I think my pedals will sum to 1100 - 1300 mA or so.

Thanks,

Mark

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='800123' date='Apr 8 2010, 07:50 PM']Thanks for the replies! I've gone with the one from JohnnyShredFreak, as in dannybuoy's message above, as it has the box on the board and is a fair bit cheaper than Diago.

Thanks again![/quote]

The Diago is basically a re-branded JohnnyShredFreak anyway...So massive saving! :)

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Higgie' post='800415' date='Apr 9 2010, 01:29 AM']The Diago is basically a re-branded JohnnyShredFreak anyway...So massive saving! :)[/quote]

Is it really? I was considering them as an option now. I received my power supply (major delays from the volcano) and it adds buzz to my rig.

Bass > wireless with Line 6's own power supply > amp = silent.

Bass > wireless with JSF's power supply > amp = buzz.

The Line 6 and JSF power supplies were run off the same socket.

I've sent off a message to JSF about it in case I may have received a duff unit. It is a major improvement over the cheap and nasty unit I had before, but is there a power supply out there which does not introduce hum and buzz and which pumps out a huge amount of current? I'll need to double check, but I think the Line 6 only has the juice to power the wireless receiver. As it stands right now, I need to use a gate (set to about -45db) to get the same noise floor as with the Line 6.

Ive been contemplating getting an upgrade to my power supply so when i first started reading this thread i was about to say go with the Diego one as i brought a no name power brick in the past an it worked fine, did the job as it said but the quality of it wasn't that good and its at present held together with gaffer tape and cable ties (but still working) so it was a bit of a false economy, but then i followed the like that "dannybuoy" posted and before i no it Ive ordered on, a mains lead and 2x daisy chains including postage under £25!!! if it works as good as it looks then all is good
( i will let you all no how i get on with it once it arrives)
Thanks for the link dannybuoy!!! (cool name by the way!! :))

Update about the Johnny ShredFreak power supply:

JSF responded promptly and suggested that the noise I am experiencing with my Line 6 wireless is that, as far as he is aware, "Line 6 pedals (their effects pedals at any rate) are known to give noise/hum problems if not used either with a Line 6 power supply, a dedicated power supply per pedal, or with a separate low voltage winding and circuitry per pedal if using a special transformer-based power supply with several output windings. Sorry - I should have added a Line 6 exclusion to the website product page (it has now been revised)."

My problem is apparent without the wireless in the system, but he also adds "However the Line 6 is a receiver and you are still getting noise even without using it. A standard setup with our power supply should be virtually silent, unless there is heavy fluorescent lighting switched on, or unless the pedals are consuming over 1500mA of low voltage current, which with only 3 or 4 pedals is highly unlikely. Therefore if you want to return the Shredfreak power supply I will give you a refund including return postage."

I'll try it with the lights off (will be hard - the rehearsal space doesn't have any lighting at all other than fluorescents) and report back both here and to JSF.

While I am a little disappointed this isn't exactly what I was after, [b]I am very impressed with the professionalism and service of JSF[/b]. I'll be keeping the power supply regardless, as it is such an improvement over my other one (both in size and noise) and I can filter out the buzz at roughly -45db on my gate which, although really not ideal, is close enough for rock.

I received the power supply that i ordered after reading this thread on Wednesday 12/5/10 and set about sorting my pedal board out, I'm using it to run 4x Boss pedals 1x Electro harmonics & 1x Marshall pedal (6 in total off 2x daisy chains) and have to say that i cant fault it in any way at all, the unit even came with its own fixing kit to strap it down to your board!! I really cant bull this power supply up enough, never mind how much they cost, put a designer name sticker on it and charge 5x more for it and you will be hard pushed to tell the difference in terms of quality and performance.

On the Sunday i was looking through there web page and came across a fixing kit to fasten your effects to your board with, (simple design, looks like a link off a bike chain that you simply just undo the screw on the bottom of your effect, attach the fixing and with a self tapping screw, screw it down!!) looks good and works great!! (you left thinking , why didn't i think of that ?)

They look like this fitted

Heres the link to them :
[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...dex&cPath=7[/url]

So the two separate orders arrived at the same time, in the same package and i get an e-mail from them saying that my orders had been combined and the excess postage has been refunded to my PayPal account, the amount was less than £1 (the whole order was under £30 all in!) but its the principle behind it, (never had that happen before) Top marks to J.S.F. [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/[/url]

Edited by danny-79