Why become a member? ×

Hartke Hydrive 115?

Sarah5string

Planning on going to see a fellow BCer's shop tomorrow to try a Hartke Hydrive 115 out. Just wondering what people's opinions/experiences of them are I play 5 string bass B-G and am going through a Gallien Krueger backline 600 (300w) :)

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:

Edited by Sarah5string

How did you get on? Did you try the Hydrive 15?

Reviews seem to be a bit on the rare side on t'interweb to be honest. I wanted to know more about the Hydrive 4x10 and 8x10 - but there's not really any 'real world' teviews that I have seen yet.

[quote name='dood' post='800407' date='Apr 9 2010, 12:07 AM']How did you get on? Did you try the Hydrive 15?

Reviews seem to be a bit on the rare side on t'interweb to be honest. I wanted to know more about the Hydrive 4x10 and 8x10 - but there's not really any 'real world' teviews that I have seen yet.[/quote]

I got my mitts on one in a store in the US, didn't get to give it a proper go around due to the environment (surrounded by 15 year olds slappity bappity clackitying their way through flea numbers) , but I was definitely liking what I was hearing. Good punch.

Nathan Watts seems to like em, and in my mind that's one hell of an endorsement :)

I ended up buying one :) I loved the sound of it although I found that the bottom end (5 string B ) was a bit flappy at full gig volume, but this was soon rectified by combining it with another 1x15 and I loved the overall sound, really full and punchey without being too harsh. Love it :rolleyes:

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='796377' date='Apr 5 2010, 11:15 AM']Planning on going to see a fellow BCer's shop tomorrow to try a Hartke Hydrive 115 out. Just wondering what people's opinions/experiences of them are I play 5 string bass B-G and am going through a Gallien Krueger backline 600 (300w) :)

Thanks in advance! :rolleyes:[/quote]
I've just bought a Hartke Hydrive 112C from Academy of Sound - just £355 online purchase.
I think Bass Merchant have the Hydrive 115C for about £100 more, and there's a used one on eBay too at present.
Good power output at 250watts through the internal speaker (no option of an extra cab though). Even the 112C seems to sound fairly crisp with the low B of a 5-string at moderate volume -I haven't tried it flat out though.
Tone shaping possibilities are pretty impressive, but I found just using the treble and bass contour controls enough to get a good sound quickly.
Solid build, so not particularly light to carry around - side carrying handles would have been better than one on the top.
Moderately compact though - at the curent prices they seem really good value. Apparently there was a change in UK distributor and Academy of Sound bought up some of the old stock, before Korg took over.
With the 'kickback' option you get the sound projected upwards, so it could also be useful as a floor monitor linked to another amp for those running bigger rigs.

Edited by 27 frets