Why become a member? ×

Custom Buzzard Bass

markbo32

Sigh.... i really don't want to get rid of this bass... its been my favorite toy for about a year now and i love it dearly, but there is a definate need for some equipment upgrading.

i bought it about a year ago from a friend who had it custom built. unfortunately im not massively clued up about it... obviously it's moddeled after a warwick or status buzzard (hence the roman numeral fret markers), but it is made of wood (ash i think, not sure). the pickups are soapbars and it has a 3 band active EQ with midrange frequency sweep, pickup balance and master volume. it is in great shape, has no large scratches or wear, has a set of gold plated alchemy strings and sounds awesome, the midrange sweep makes it a dream to play on stage.

I'm really looking to trade this, because i donated my amp and another of my basses to a friend who had his stolen :) i need litteraly everything and anything barring pedals, (although no combo amps... can't stand them) need a head, cabs, any rackmount effects and a bass or two aswell. (obviously not all of the above.... i am not that dillusional about how much this is worth)

[quote name='markbo32' post='794607' date='Apr 2 2010, 08:13 PM']I'm really looking to trade this, because i donated my amp and another of my basses to a friend who had his stolen ................[/quote]

:)

Edited by martthebass

Hi,

it seems to be a "home made project" of Mark Hostler and his dad,this is what i found on [url="http://www.buzzardbass.com/Site/Owners/Owners.htm"]http://www.buzzardbass.com/Site/Owners/Owners.htm[/url] :

[b]Mark Hostler

Mark and his father built the BEST BUZZARD BASS ON EARTH! Here's what Mark had to say about it...

"Hello there my name is Mark Hostler, and i am a huge fan of John Entwistle. whilst looking for pictures of john i found one on your site of his Status Buzzard Bass, and i was immediately hooked. since then, the buzard shape has been my favorite bass of all time, and your site was the top of my favorites list from then on. a couple of months ago i decided it was time to stop dreaming and take action, and so i drew up plans and began designing my own Buzzard bass. since then, me and my dad (an accomplished carpenter) have been crafting away my dream bass, which i recently completed. i am writing to sincerely thank you as your website was agreat help in its design and construction, and i would very much like to share it with the world. :) attatched are some pictures of my bass, and i was wondering if you could put them on the "proud buzzard owners" page of your website, as i think i may be the proudest of all. i hope it isn't too much trouble yours, Mark Hostler"

You bet I will!!![/b]
(picture's on that site are the same as the one's posted here)

Do you have any soundsample's of the bass by any chance?
I love the look of it,don't have anything to trade at the moment,but might be intrested to buy this as a back-up if the price is right... :rolleyes:

That is indeed the bass in it's origional form, but it has since been very heavily modified (by mark and his dad who originally built it) at my expense. this included new tuning heads, pickups, string retainer, knobs, and new finish for the whole body, neck and fingerboard.
really not lookin to sell tbh, need equipment quite quickly atm, sorry.

What is all the hardware? I think that is where the value in trade of this bass will be determined, it will be dissapointingly low. However skilled the carpenter, they are an unknown quantity and may lack the touch of an experienced bass builder to make things work well for other people. A figure to say roughly what you are expecting in return would give us something to work with.

Also, I think the pics on the site are different.

The pics on the site are different, they are of the bass when it was originally built. im not 100% on what all the hardware is unfortunately... i know the tuning heads are wilkinson, and that the strings are alchemy, but thats pretty much the limit of my knowledge. i believe that the active circuit came from status graphite, but im not completely sure.
i'm not too sure what to be asking for for a ballpark figure, as people have given me wildly different estimates for its value. im just looking for an offer that takes my fancy.

[quote name='markbo32' post='795060' date='Apr 3 2010, 02:00 PM']The pics on the site are different, they are of the bass when it was originally built. im not 100% on what all the hardware is unfortunately... i know the tuning heads are wilkinson, and that the strings are alchemy, but thats pretty much the limit of my knowledge. i believe that the active circuit came from status graphite, but im not completely sure.
i'm not too sure what to be asking for for a ballpark figure, as people have given me wildly different estimates for its value. im just looking for an offer that takes my fancy.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...LOCAL EH!
...Have you tried Dickinsons Real Deal? :rolleyes:
..You must have some idea of what its worth? ...or how much you would like for it?...Or what gear youd be happy to trade for it?
...Just trying to help! :lol:

Edited by MB1

well... the estimates ive been given range from a few hundred to well over a thousand, (really random) but really i'd like to get somewhere in the middle of that range. i'm reeeeeally not looking for high end gear here... just whatever i can get to play medium to large gigs with.