Why become a member? ×

Allen Keys for Fender Bridge adjustments

alhbass

I bought a 2009 US Fender Jazz recently on this site - it's great and I love it - but it didn't come with case or any case candy. So I consequently don't have the allen keys to fit the bridge intonation and action height adjusters. I've tried loads of my own, and tho I can kinda get them to work none fits perfectly. What's going on there? Do Fender make them to their own "special" size, just so you have to buy theirs perhaps?

Happy to do so if necessary - where can I get them from? Or if they are a standard size after all, can anyone enlighten me as to what they are?

Thanks for your help...

Someone will be along soon to give you a definitive answer but AFAIK allen keys for many basses are imperial size. Ask your local hardware guy to order some in for you, well worth having. A lot of stuff has US sizes aswell which is called AF, not sure if thats still common, interested to find out. (Off topic, its used on old Harleys and other US junk)

You'll need a 1/16" imperial allen key. Not all allen keys are made equal though. I found a set of imperial keys at Wilco's for 99p, but they were poor quality rubbish that didn't fit and I ended up ordering one key for a pound off ebay.

[quote name='alhbass' post='789049' date='Mar 29 2010, 12:32 AM']I bought a 2009 US Fender Jazz recently on this site - it's great and I love it - but it didn't come with case or any case candy. So I consequently don't have the allen keys to fit the bridge intonation and action height adjusters. I've tried loads of my own, and tho I can kinda get them to work none fits perfectly. What's going on there? Do Fender make them to their own "special" size, just so you have to buy theirs perhaps?

Happy to do so if necessary - where can I get them from? Or if they are a standard size after all, can anyone enlighten me as to what they are?

Thanks for your help...[/quote]

I'm a firm believer in having the right tools for the job & that's often worth paying a little bit extra for, rather than 'the cheapest you can find in the world' from cheap jack shops! They often don't fit properly anyway & you'll end up with knackered screws.
Here's a link to the good sort: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hexagon-Allen-Key-Screwdriver-Wrench-1-16-Ball-Ended_W0QQitemZ150413742411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item23055b914b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hexagon-Allen-Key-Sc...=item23055b914b[/url]
If it's a standard Fender bridge it should be a 1/16" some like the BadAss are 1/20" or .05"

Cheers,
John

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' post='789148' date='Mar 29 2010, 09:00 AM']I'm a firm believer in having the right tools for the job & that's often worth paying a little bit extra for, rather than 'the cheapest you can find in the world' from cheap jack shops! They often don't fit properly anyway & you'll end up with knackered screws.
Here's a link to the good sort: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hexagon-Allen-Key-Screwdriver-Wrench-1-16-Ball-Ended_W0QQitemZ150413742411QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hand_Tools_Equipment?hash=item23055b914b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hexagon-Allen-Key-Sc...=item23055b914b[/url]
If it's a standard Fender bridge it should be a 1/16" some like the BadAss are 1/20" or .05"

Cheers,
John[/quote]

Thanks for that - I'll check it out. I'm of the same mind when it comes to tools - especially when even the most expensive allen key can't presumably be all that expensive!

Cheers.