Why become a member? ×

Peerless guitars

cocco

So I was in my local music shop the other day and I noticed a wall full of what appeared to be gretsch White falcons and town and countries and everything in between "crikey" I thought. So I went for a look. Upon closer inspection they were not gretsch at all. They were branded "peerless" and I could not believe how well made they were. Definatly on a par with any of the ibanez and epiphone hollow bodies, every one of them was sporting a real bigsby and was beautifully made. I'm just wondering if a they make basses and b if they are as good as they look. I've long gassed for a hollow body but never seen an eb2 I could afford and there's something about the ibanez ones I don't like the look of.

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=peerless+guitars&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=DBGuS-rUAZH54AadxZ3bDw"]Did you try Google?[/url]

There is a bass and although it doesn't appear to be listed on the current web site a quick search for "Peerless Bass" brings up [url="http://www.peerlessguitars.com/e_shop/shop/index.php?page=view_item&class_id=,13,&item_id=47"]this link[/url]

BTW the Peerless web site is quite possibly one of the worst built that I have come across in the last year. Big on irritating "Eye Candy" and short on intuitive functionality.

The reason they are on a par with Epiphone is because all the high end Epiphone stuff (korea) is built by Peerless- e.g. Flamekat, Wildcat, Alleykat guitars (I have a Flamekat for my rockabilly band)
My tech is the sole Irish distributor for Peerless.
I have tried the bass and I have to say, it is a lovely sounding instrument.
It was a nice round sound, with a nice touch of snappy top-end.
Hardware and finish were cool too (kind of a grey fade if I remember) Didnt like the look of the bridge tho-was sharper (edges) than my TBird.
Definately a great alternative to a Gretsch bass (love Gretsch, but the basses are awful sounding for the most part). So I guess in that respect, Peerless are more Gretsch than Gretsch

Edited by basshead56

I found pics of the bass. I have to say I like it and the price is very reasonable. I just wish it had eb-3 sort of circuitry with a pickup switch and vol and tone for each pickup. And some F holes wouldn't go a miss, nore would a trapeze bridge. What was the balance like?it looks head heavy

[quote name='cocco' post='788074' date='Mar 27 2010, 06:30 PM']I found pics of the bass. I have to say I like it and the price is very reasonable. I just wish it had eb-3 sort of circuitry with a pickup switch and vol and tone for each pickup. And some F holes wouldn't go a miss, nore would a trapeze bridge. What was the balance like?it looks head heavy[/quote]

Hi,
From what I remember (only got about 20 mins with t), It wasn´t very top heavy. though I had a fairly wide leather strap.
The sound (played through a small Fender amp) was somewhere in Gibson EB/Dearmond Starfire territory.
I´m sure the controls were vol/vol/tone.
I´m also sure the bass I tried had a black pckguard, and not a shell one like the few I´ve seen around

For the money, it really is a lovely bass.

I agree about F-holes, though have noticed with their gutars, some do tend to feedback a tad more than other hollowbodies.
I noticed this while running the sound desk at the local youth center band nights
One kid who has one (bought from my tech) has taken to putting a wee bit of yellow foam in the F-hole and this seems to reduce feedback.
Still, they are right up ther with my Flamekat in terms of tone-sweet one minute/face melting the next! The way rock n´roll should be! :)