Why become a member? ×

Hello from me

GRAHAM SG1

Just joined, nice site :) .
I am from Basingstoke in Hampshire and have only recently begun my bass carrer having been a guitarist/singer since 1990 and also a drummer, I fancied a change and was kind of pushed into bass due to our bands bass player becoming very ill .

I have really taken to bass and love it for the feedback you get from the instrument compared to guitar, the tone and power are awesome .

My band is a fairly typical 3 piece rock/blues covers band playing gigs in local pubs and clubs .
My influences are mainly punk/rock inspired in general, my bass influences have to be Jack Bruce, John Entwhistle type players for the older music and I really like New Model Army`s bass and drum style, particularly their older stuff, if you have never heard it, give it a go, some nice bass lines :rolleyes:

Bye for now

Welcome, I just joined last week myself. being in the USA, this site is a refreshing place to hear and learn about musicians over in Europe and esp. the UK........I post mostly on talkbass.com. I studied bass many years ago , played in several groups and gave it up for a long while. Jack Bruce, John Entwhistle were the first to open up the bass as a solo type sound. In my return to music I am taking guitar and drum lessons at a local guitar music shop. All this serves to get me in contact with other musicians. For me bass was never a solo instrument. Today, everybody thinks they are a soloist. Very few are, just a fact of life. Same things goes with the drums , doesn't it? So, for me I function as a basic bass player and leave all the fancy stuff to the vocalist and the lead guitars..............................Good luck............................... :)

Cheers guys, I have been near you this evening BurritoBass, in The Dolphin pub in Newbury :)
My atittude to playing is to just go with the flow and enjoy, I could not be one of those clever and disciplined players who sit down and study properly, I like to play a song I like on CD then try to pick out the bass by ear, I can get fairly close, I think !!
I am 47 years old with two kids to prevent me from totally enjoying life but I do my best :lol:
My other hobby is quad biking, I have a road legal Yamaha Raptor 700cc sports quad, I partly run a local quad forum website where we arrange rides and meetings, it keeps me out of trouble, if anyone is interested in quads give me a shout, sorry to go off topic but its part of my introduction :rolleyes: :lol: