Why become a member? ×

Gibson USA Prototype 001

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110510755231"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110510755231[/url]

So wrong it isn't true. The only thing Gibson about that is the pickups. It's a Guild bridge, I'm guessing. All built on some butchered set neck thing - looks like a ground down Guild headstock as well.

But basically, what a load of bull.

This has cropped up before. I think the answer is...yep Bullpoop.
Looks like a smashed up Ricky body too.
Grim, hope nobody falls for it.

The pickups are from an early 70's EB3 just in the wrong order....

Edited by AndyTravis

Pile of badly cobbled-together trash.

So what - did Gibson get so hacked off at all those bloody Jap copies that they thought they'd best 'em at their own game - & make a crude ripoff of this:

And after scratching their collective heads, decided the best way to achieve end this was to bodge an old Guild neck onto some sort of Rickenbacker copy body, which had been modified (by Gibson's bandsaw-operating blind chimp, evidently) presumably in order to avoid legal action!

Are we honestly expected to believe that the neck & body are in any way related? :)

[quote name='Ebay bloke flogging junk bass']This one was never made other than this one. So similar to a Gibson Moderne only this is much rarer.[/quote]
I'm no Gibbo expert but as far as I know there was never a Moderne "prototype" built so that would hardly make this rarer, in the wildly unlikely event that it wasn't a bodged-together travesty . The Moderne was part of a planned trio of bizarre guitars from the 50s - the other two were the Flying V & Explorer. For whatever reason only a design blueprint for the Moderne ever existed from that era - the guitar itself wasn't actually built until the 80s. At least, not by Gibson. There were Ibanez & Greco examples (can't really call them copies!) built in the mid 70s based on pics of the body shape from the old 50s blueprint, which had been published in music mags - for this reason the Moderne copies had conventional 3-a-side headstocks instead of the rather rubbish-looking paddle of the "original".

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin