Why become a member? ×

SX Pirate bass

[quote name='silentbob' post='782994' date='Mar 23 2010, 12:55 AM']I have got to get me one of these. Anybody know of a uk stockist?[/quote]

Just get it from Rondo. Lots of UK people have bought direct from them.
Aaaaaaarrrrrrr the Pirate basses as good as the normal SX's, me hearty?

[quote name='OldGit' post='783023' date='Mar 23 2010, 02:56 AM']Just get it from Rondo. Lots of UK people have bought direct from them.
Aaaaaaarrrrrrr the Pirate basses as good as the normal SX's, me hearty?[/quote]

Original price of the bass is: £86.16

W/postage to the UK, price goes up to: £140.89.

Plus 17.5%VAT, 3.5% duty, and £15 "handling charge", price goes up to: £185.48 delivered. That's using current exchange rates. It's likely that a buyer's card (or other payment method) will not calculate the exchange rate so favourably, and the price will go up a bit.

On top of that, you have:

[quote]Orders shipped outside the US & Canada have no warranty and are not refundable - see return section for details.

Customers ordering outside the US & Canada are also responsible for paying their own customs duty / VAT. All prices are in US Dollars

Customers ordering guitars outside the US are required to order cases and must provide a phone number for customs[/quote]

Let's say that it's $60 for a suitable case. I'm not sure whether Rondo will ship in a soft case which will be cheaper, but this is a typical hard case price from the Rondo site. The price paid to Rondo goes up to: £196.15. Add in VAT, duty, and "handling charge", and you get a full price of approximately £252.34.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='783033' date='Mar 23 2010, 06:32 AM']Original price of the bass is: £86.16

W/postage to the UK, price goes up to: £140.89.

Plus 17.5%VAT, 3.5% duty, and £15 "handling charge", price goes up to: £185.48 delivered. That's using current exchange rates. It's likely that a buyer's card (or other payment method) will not calculate the exchange rate so favourably, and the price will go up a bit.

On top of that, you have:

Let's say that it's $60 for a suitable case. I'm not sure whether Rondo will ship in a soft case which will be cheaper, but this is a typical hard case price from the Rondo site. The price paid to Rondo goes up to: £196.15. Add in VAT, duty, and "handling charge", and you get a full price of approximately £252.34.[/quote]

Sure.

Having bought three SX basses from Rondo I'd say you don't need a case as they know how to wrap and ship safely.

Waltons in Dublin are asking 250 Euro, plus shipping and tax, duty and handling (on top of Eu250!)
[url="http://waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=11072"]http://waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=11072[/url]

So yes, it will cost you about £180 from Rondo.

Odd that Rondo can sell it for £90 in the US and Waltons charge nearly £250 in Ireland. I assume Waltons get them from a direct importer, same as Rondo.

I did see one on eBay a few years ago so they may be around.

There's an [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-GUITAR-SX-ELECTRIC-WITH-CASE-BAG-JAZZ-STYLE_W0QQitemZ260572948567QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item3cab5ba857"]SX scorpion jazz bass[/url] on t'bay right now for a tenner with 6 days to go. Not as cool (and they may assume you are a Scorpions fan)

[quote name='OldGit' post='783087' date='Mar 23 2010, 09:02 AM']Odd that Rondo can sell it for £90 in the US and Waltons charge nearly £250 in Ireland. I assume Waltons get them from a direct importer, same as Rondo.[/quote]

I was told by a musical instrument dealer that the manufacturers charge different prices to different countries. And that they make bigger profits on sales to Europe which are used to balance slimmer profits for sales to the US. Higher levels of sales tax here also make a difference. But, I was told that US prices for internet sellers like Musician's Friend are often lower than the UK wholesale prices. Also, that certain discounting online suppliers are selling the instruments for not much more than the wholesale price. And in some cases the internet stores get a volume discount, such that their prices are actually lower than the wholesale price to small independent retailers.

On the MI Pro website there are frequent comments from retailers complaining about not enough margin on musical instruments sold in the UK, and that shops should get together to agree on prices, and raise prices in the UK to what the retailers consider a more "reasonable level". Yes, I know that would be price fixing and illegal. However, it seems that it isn't the shops that are making huge profits. But, for such a discrepancy as you point out, someone is making a pretty coin, unless Rondo's £90 is a lossmaker for someone.

Given that it's Rondo's stated policy that overseas buyers must buy a case, do they allow people to buy without cases? Or, do they say they'll do it but it's at the buyer's own risk?

Edited by Annoying Twit

I never bought a case and had several email exchanges with them so I guess you take the risk.

I think Rondo have the SX market in the US sewn up. They must sell thousands of the things and probably buy at very good prices from the manufacturer. I can't see them selling all of their basses at cost price, and for years, somehow.

Anyway if the Rondo SX's I've had (and played) are anything to go by, the Pirate would be well worth it. Pop on a Gotoh 201 or 203 (which I did with mine) and it will be even better. [edit: The Pirate has a chunky bridge rather than a bent tin one so probably don't need to do this mod]
Easily as good as the normal Squiers. Not sure about the VM's. I've not played any.
Resale value would be dire though :)

Beware the headstock shape changes though. Very old = Fender shape, medium old = Lakland hook shape, new = very smoth, a bit like a Peavey.

Edited by OldGit