Why become a member? ×

Take Bass Travelling or Buy Cheap?

faceman

Afternoon guys,

Sorry for yet another [i]want-some-advice[/i] thread but you are all so good at giving constructive and helpful advice! Basically, I've got an internship in London starting tomorrow and I'm heading down from Durham later today. However, a month without bass isn't one I like the sound of so my plan was to take my Ric with me, just for noodling, practising or even the potential of a gig there.

However, I'm travelling by this countries' finest National Express East Coast and will have my hands full with a suitcase, laptop and suit carrier. Lugging my bass doesn't seem a very good idea so I came up with the idea of buying something cheap-ish while I'm down there (probably from our SH forum) and then selling it on the other side? It would also be an opportunity to try out some of the fancier Squier series of VM or CV...

What would your recommendations be? Take or buy?

[quote name='faceman' post='781621' date='Mar 21 2010, 01:11 PM']Afternoon guys,

Sorry for yet another [i]want-some-advice[/i] thread but you are all so good at giving constructive and helpful advice! Basically, I've got an internship in London starting tomorrow and I'm heading down from Durham later today. However, a month without bass isn't one I like the sound of so my plan was to take my Ric with me, just for noodling, practising or even the potential of a gig there.

However, I'm travelling by this countries' finest National Express East Coast and will have my hands full with a suitcase, laptop and suit carrier. Lugging my bass doesn't seem a very good idea so I came up with the idea of buying something cheap-ish while I'm down there (probably from our SH forum) and then selling it on the other side? It would also be an opportunity to try out some of the fancier Squier series of VM or CV...

What would your recommendations be? Take or buy?[/quote]
Buy a SH Hohner headless cricket bat. £180 max.

Or, like you say a decent SH Squier.

[quote name='faceman' post='781642' date='Mar 21 2010, 01:36 PM']The Hofner Jack Bass, you mean? Don't know anything about 'em

I've just tried to carry all my bags and my guitar and this is not going to work. So buying a cheap bass in London it is![/quote]

It's a HOHNER, not a Hofner. They are ace. The Jack Bass is the one with a normal shaped full size body, I had one, you won't want to sell it probably :) They make the titchy cricket bat ones too, like a Steinberger. Great sounding, totally reliable, brilliantly portable, a bargain S/H, or new for that matter.

Well I'm on the train now and no bass with me! I might see if I can borrow one or bail for a bit. I just loose noodling and practising each day, it helps me improve and I find it relaxing.

However, a break and all that might be a good idea. Either way, I'm now trawling Basschat and the nets for cheap bass stuff. A good time occupier :)