Why become a member? ×

Guitarist tunes between numbers - what to do?

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='781540' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:48 AM']This came up in [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=7919&view=findpost&p=781415"]"how was your gig"[/url] so I thought I'd bring it out here.

Dave Bass chipped in with
"Going a bit off topic here but im also fed up with my guitarist having to tune up between almost every song. He does it silently but i feel a right idiot just standing around waiting for the next song to start.
Its got so bad that Ive started to play the intros to songs that i don't normally start, just to try and keep the flow going.

Oh, and another thing that bugs me is that while i can understand our singer taking a swig of water between songs the guitarist also has to do it, at the same time. That means no one other than me or the drummer can start playing. Ive tired to get them to drink at different times but its just got getting through to them (mainly the guitarist, who doesnt sing much anyway).

Sorry, rant over. "

I suggested
[color="#0000FF"]Video the gig. Show them how it looks
or... realise that nothing will stop them and build in set workarounds like holding patterns mentioned above to avoid blank spots, holes where the applause should be etc etc...
Lifts the whole show[/color]

What do you think?[/quote]

Before getting my teath stuck in to this thread i wanted to respond the the above.

I actually record all our gigs and email it to them.
This band is one of those bands that agree with everything that's suggested until it comes to doing it. And as most it comes from me ive started to give up as im starting to sound like a nag. Its not laziness so much, at least, not with the guitarist, its pure forgetfulness.

Ive had this discussion with the singer (who is closer to the guitarist) and we have decided the guitarist thinks we are playing pub gigs where you can mess about on stage between songs (within reason).
He seems a oblivious to the fact that there could be a dance floor full of people waiting for the next number. He will quite happily change guitars etc. And then he has to check tuning etc. He then will turn around to us and ask if we are ready :-0
This is why i have to start playing. Its ridiculous really. I do keep on at them but its just not sinking in.

Oh, and even though he tends to turn up with the PA late enough that generally we will be pushing it to get a sound check he then puts new strings on while we are all waiting around, before the sound check.

Ok, rant over, ill now start reading through this thread.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='OldGit' post='782455' date='Mar 22 2010, 11:55 AM']Rant on mate. We are here to hear and support, brother bass. :)[/quote]

Then go round to his house and break his fingers for me lol.

Its so frustrating as my drummer wont EVER take the initiative and start playing the next song (or even count a song in without someone telling him to), even though he is happy to play some rubbish between songs while the singer is trying to announce the next song. Maybe this is OT and should also have its own thread lol.
So its down to me or the singer to fill the void between songs and im running out of intros.

Its not so bad at weddings/parties etc so i know we can do it but even the social clubs can have good audiences but its these places that it seems to happen more.
And its not like we have had complaints etc, maybe its something i should just ignore. Maybe i should buy a mutli effects unit or something i can fiddle with between songs.

I think ill have a word with him at the next gig.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='782457' date='Mar 22 2010, 11:59 AM']I think I might have figured out why he has tuning issues.

S.P.[/quote]

No, its not that. Its not every gig he changes strings. And he brings 3 guitars with him and its all of them.
I think its more a bad habit thing.

I'm sure this isn't news to anybody, but just in case it hasn't been mentioned..... get the instruments out of their cases and on a stand safely out of the way as soon as you can. Gives them time to adjust to the room and helps them stay in tune during the gig. I tune before the first set and before the second set. It's rarely out the second time tbh.

[quote name='51m0n' post='782244' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:12 PM']Best local band I ever saw had no dead air on their gigs, just constant pure energy. And that is the best way to do it by far. Nearly killed the drummer though![/quote]
that's why we have bass solos... give the drummer a chance to towel down...

[quote name='51m0n' post='782244' date='Mar 21 2010, 11:12 PM']Buy the guitarist a tuner! Teach him how to use it.[/quote]

also if they moan the tuner sucks their tone out, tell them to get an A/B selector switch to make tuning a doddle with the tuner out of the main effects line when playing

Boss AB-2 is cheap enough and has a reputable name if they're snobby about names...

[quote name='gary mac' post='782545' date='Mar 22 2010, 03:21 PM']Guitarists inane widdling and tuning up between songs, is what finally made me leave the band I was with for a few years.

It's unbearable when one guitarist does it, but in that particular band there were five of them.............it was HELL.[/quote]

5 well behaved guitarists woud be tough enough :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='782541' date='Mar 22 2010, 03:08 PM']The recurrent theme here is that just about everyone but the guitarist knows he should take responsibility for his tuning without disrupting the flow of the gigs.

How do we get through to them?[/quote]

A middling length of 4 by 2.