Why become a member? ×

Buying a bass from outside the UK

throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' post='778298' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:30 AM'][url="http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/"]http://www.dutycalculator.com/calculation/[/url]

Great tool for finding out duty and taxes applicable

Not sure where to put it so feel free to move it around mods.[/quote]

It's been said many times before, but the duty isn't the problem it's all the handling charges you can get stuffed with that can tip the balance.

thats pretty nifty

My guitarist is over to the states tomorrow for a week so i thought I would get him to bring me back some strings and a new tuner.

Looking on the Sam ash site the prices even with no shipping and [coughs] assuming he goes through the nothing to declare isle, the prices are not much cheaper than whats on e bay in the uk

I suspect that where the pound is down at 1.48 ish importing is not going to be that attractive

Yeh its not quite the bargin it used to be, of course the one advantage the USA always has is the range of products.

Im looking into getting a Lefthanded Dargie Delight II Stingray at the mo. None came to europe so the US is my only option.

i ordered a bass from the uS that im collecting today, after charges ive saved like 50 quid. wasnt really worth it as ciustoms held my bass for a week for no reason, id haverather payed the 50 and got it the next day from the uk :) lol

i know parcelfroce charge a handling fee but apparently its pretty easy to claim back if you phone up their complaints line. also despite what tehy tell you they cant hold your package until you pay their admin charges, if you ahve payed duty and VAT then they are legally obliged to give you your package according to the Postal Act of 2000. Of course youd have to pay it eventually unless you wanted to take it to court or they agreed to wave it.

[quote name='bumnote' post='778343' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:07 AM']thats pretty nifty

My guitarist is over to the states tomorrow for a week so i thought I would get him to bring me back some strings and a new tuner.

Looking on the Sam ash site the prices even with no shipping and [coughs] assuming he goes through the nothing to declare isle, the prices are not much cheaper than whats on e bay in the uk

I suspect that where the pound is down at 1.48 ish importing is not going to be that attractive[/quote]
It is a shame. When I went to the USA back in 2007 I went to Sam Ash to get my new cymbals.

In the UK they would have been £260 and £280 each. In the US they were $210 and $220. Bearing in mind the 2:1 exchange rate they pretty much worked out at £220 for the pair :)

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='778723' date='Mar 18 2010, 03:45 PM']It is a shame. When I went to the USA back in 2007 I went to Sam Ash to get my new cymbals.

In the UK they would have been £260 and £280 each. In the US they were $210 and $220. Bearing in mind the 2:1 exchange rate they pretty much worked out at £220 for the pair :)[/quote]

sorted it out :rolleyes:

when it arrived one of the nuts was loose on the tuners and it had black marks all over the white body, they wiped off but ive scuffed the nut slightly when i tightened it so i can the metal underneath on a part of it, not a major problem but annoying to say ive only got it today :/