Why become a member? ×

Differences in Double Bass Strings :)

pegman1

So its come time for me to change my double bass strings, Im a student and this is the the first set I'm buying and I'm just wandering if anyone could tell me the difference in the types of strings you can get, for example, differences between gut strings and any others you can get. I was talking to a bass player about a month ago who said he liked to use velvet strings as they allowed him to get bite on the string were a little bit looser and offered a bit more warmth tonally. I'm a jazz player and I like the tone of Paul Chambers alot and also Larry Grenadier. Any words of wisdom welcome! Matt

[quote name='pegman1' post='778057' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:05 PM']So its come time for me to change my double bass strings, Im a student and this is the the first set I'm buying and I'm just wandering if anyone could tell me the difference in the types of strings you can get, for example, differences between gut strings and any others you can get. I was talking to a bass player about a month ago who said he liked to use velvet strings as they allowed him to get bite on the string were a little bit looser and offered a bit more warmth tonally. I'm a jazz player and I like the tone of Paul Chambers alot and also Larry Grenadier. Any words of wisdom welcome! Matt[/quote]

Trolling the US Talkbass forum, I came across this useful string sample matrix

[url="http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php"]http://www.hervejeanne.de/saitenmatrix.php[/url]

...this should start you off ...

For me is Evah's until I have money to try gut strings. Had Spirocores before - good at pizzicato (jazz workhorse), not that good with bow. I also tried Cordes Lambert for a cheap synthetic version of gut (look like giant rubber bands) - great easy tension, almost no sustain although big loud plump thump, warm arco sound - these are possibly rockabilly heaven.

Evah's offer - to my ability and bass - flexible pizzicato with punch and big warm arco sound.

Goog luck with the never ending search for "THE STRING"

[quote name='owen' post='778126' date='Mar 17 2010, 11:20 PM']Cordes Lambert

Tell me more! Where? How much?[/quote]

Sound samples and ordering email on link below. Just send a email asking for payment details and proceed with order via paypal. My strings arrived 2 days later from France. Brilliant service! Around £50 depending on the exchange rate.

[url="http://www.myspace.com/cordeslambert"]http://www.myspace.com/cordeslambert[/url]

They are fun, once you get used to the bouncy feel (compared to metal strings).

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='778246' date='Mar 18 2010, 08:40 AM']I love the Evah Pirazzi's (orch guage) I have on both my basses. Great for jazz but also superb with the bow.
I can't recommend these highly enough.

The Major[/quote]
I haven't tried the strings but I do know that above is a very experienced voice. :)

I am struck with my innovation silver slap, I don't bow a lot so that is not such a concern and at around 70 quid a set not too expensive to realise you don't like them. I suspect you'll be kissing frogs...

[quote name='CoolCat' post='778088' date='Mar 17 2010, 10:44 PM']Good luck with the never ending search for "THE STRING"[/quote]

+1

I've read endlessly about strings here, there, everywhere. The only thing I ended up with is you just have to bite the bullet and try a set to see if they work on your bass with you playing it, and they achieve the sound in your head. Pretty sure the Spiro's won't give you a Paul Chambers tone. The Evah mediums (orch) are darker sounding, the Evah weichs (soft) have another sound again. The Innovations offer a good tone, but you have to decide what core material and what tension. Guts are a whole other kettle of fish...round and round it goes :)

What sort of bass are you playing? Carved, hybrid, ply?

Edited by TPJ