Why become a member? ×

SVT-15E with Little Mark II

faceman

Afternoon all,

I've just been given an offer to trade my Ashdown 4x10 for an Ampeg SVT-15E cabinet. Now this may seem a little strange but it is something I'm seriously considering. I played a gig a few weeks ago with an Ampeg BA115 (the one with 5 styles) which was quite basic amp but it was the best bass sound I have ever had live. It was large, fat, very clear and just bloody fantastic!

So that's why I'm considering this swap. What I do want to know is how my Little Mark will pair with this cabinet? Would they work well together, as the LM has a transparent tone. Also a friend pointed out that Rickenbackers are about treble response, and does one get that with a 15" Ampeg?

Seb

15's arent normally known for there high dude?

just an idea why not get the ampeg combo?

as for how the lm2 would work with the 15, i think your gonna be over powering the cab, the 15 is rated at 200w and the lm2 puts out 300w at 8 ohms?

as you can see from my gear i have a lm2 also but i use it as a practice amp with an ampeg 210av, but thats fine and its rated the same as the 15 but i would like to put the master past 12o clock with it?.

andy

Yeah I should have made it clearer. I'm looking for something smaller (as my my 4x10 is too big for the sort gigs I'm going at the moment) and with a different sound as my 4x10 is too ballsy, although that could be the fact it is Ashdown. I know they aren't known for their highs, more for lots of bass but how do they usually come across?

I'd like to keep my Little Mark incase I have a gig where I need to jack up the volume and can borrow something from someone else! As long as I kept an eye on the master output, would it be alright? I was thinking how would the sound of the two go together?

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='776471' date='Mar 16 2010, 05:31 PM']15's arent normally known for there high dude?[/quote]

There are several threads on here where speaker cabinet designers and/or manufacturers state very clearly that there is no such thing as "the sound of a 15" or "the punch of a 10" etc. I used to use Trace Elliot gear, and the 1x15 cab had loads more "clicky" top end than the 4x10!! It also had more low end. This is more likely to be due to the box that they are housed in than the speakers themselves I believe. :rolleyes:

Being the owner of the above-mentioned ampeg cab I can vouch for the sound of it. Plenty of top AND bottom end, but certainly not as growly and mid-rangey as the Ashdown 410 (which also has a tweeter, which adds to the "shouty" sound!).

Seb, the Ampeg will help your Rick sound like a Rick! It allows my Status to sound like a Status, and, as you might expect, the Cort sounds like itself! :lol:

Bring your Rick tomorrow and you can try as many amp/cab/bass combinations as you like! :)

BTW, the ashdown goes for £270 new and the cheapest I can find an SVT-15E for is £434!!! I must be mad!

Edited by Conan

[quote name='faceman' post='776521' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:20 PM']Yeah I should have made it clearer. I'm looking for something smaller (as my my 4x10 is too big for the sort gigs I'm going at the moment) and with a different sound as my 4x10 is too ballsy, although that could be the fact it is Ashdown. I know they aren't known for their highs, more for lots of bass but how do they usually come across?

I'd like to keep my Little Mark incase I have a gig where I need to jack up the volume and can borrow something from someone else! As long as I kept an eye on the master output, would it be alright? I was thinking how would the sound of the two go together?[/quote]

got it man!

ive played mine thru a 115 orange cab and it sounded cool, he markbass did actually bring some highs out of it. not played it thru an ampeg 15 so cant really help in that way but im guessing its gonna colour the sound a bit more so maybe lose a bit of the highs that i got with the orange?

have you tried the ampeg 210av cabs im planning on using 2 of those and my lm2 for ah covers band that im joining? really light and small rig, but really punchy!

andy

[quote name='Conan' post='776581' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:54 PM']Seb, the Ampeg will help your Rick sound like a Rick! It allows my Status to sound like a Status, and, as you might expect, the Cort sounds like itself! :)[/quote]

really cool, ive always known ampegs to colour a bit? i like this tho! but tbh that could be what ive used with the cabs?

also the not known for there highs came from my orange more than anything, it had some but not the same as say ah 212 or 410.

andy

I have used an ampeg svt15en alot with ampeg v4bh(100w).
I can say it's got quite alot of mids and highs too,not enough for modern-sounding popping.But that's not the intention,it's oldschool sound but a bit more mids and highs than expected.
I really like the sound of it,but you might think different.

The only thing i would think about is that it's only 200w so be careful...

Lol did this turn into a for sale thread?!

The Orange OBC115 is pretty much well known for having a nice amount of high end despite the lack of tweeter. There is a 1x15 shootout and the Orange came out very favorably....this is why I bought it.

Its around £430 new....not cheap. but it is a very capable cabinet. Nice fat lows, and sweet highs....obviously more vintage voiced. The port design works really well IMO and its the coolest looking 1x15 out there.

• 1 month later...

i use the ampeg 115e, and from my experience and everyone saying 15s dont give you punch, its THE best cab i've played through, i will not get rid of mine, and considering getting another (purely aesthetic reasons) the full range of this thing is incredible.

my rig is a ampeg 115e, power section from genz benz shuttle 6, and pre is sansamp rpm

i have always found ashdown to be really boring sounding and flat, personal opinion of course, but the ashdown 410, even paired up with the ashdown 115, just does not compare to the bite, growl, and clarity that the 115e gives me!

but you might disagree - just check that its loaded with the eminence kappa 15a, dont know if mine was altered to that as i bought it second hand! :)