Why become a member? ×

Low output active bass

ThomBassmonkey

OK, I've used this bass for years and I've always dealt with the problem it has with low output, but I've wondered recently if there is anything I could do about it since it doesn't make anything easier and caused problems in the studio recently. I'm sure that the problems I've had recently with my amp breaking up a bit wouldn't have been such a problem if the output was higher on the bass (which doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with other basses).

I've just been looking for a contact email address for Ibanez to see if they could suggest anything, but the only contact details they have on their site are distribution details, which I don't think would be much help.

So, can anyone either offer advice on the problem or let me know of an email address I can contact Ibanez on about it?

Just for the record, I've raised the pickups, I've looked for a gain screw on the preamp and I'd rather not use any effects in front of it because although it's lowish volume, it sounds great.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='775864' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:05 AM']OK, I've used this bass for years and I've always dealt with the problem it has with low output, but I've wondered recently if there is anything I could do about it since it doesn't make anything easier and caused problems in the studio recently. I'm sure that the problems I've had recently with my amp breaking up a bit wouldn't have been such a problem if the output was higher on the bass (which doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with other basses).

I've just been looking for a contact email address for Ibanez to see if they could suggest anything, but the only contact details they have on their site are distribution details, which I don't think would be much help.

So, can anyone either offer advice on the problem or let me know of an email address I can contact Ibanez on about it?

Just for the record, I've raised the pickups, I've looked for a gain screw on the preamp and I'd rather not use any effects in front of it because although it's lowish volume, it sounds great.[/quote]

my (previously unwritten) standard reply to all such questions, as a pro guitar repairer, is, unless it's a warranty issue, take it to a guitar repairer/ shop / (worst case) mate who has a degree of knowledge of such things

if there's a problem, then someone [b]who knows what they're doing[/b] should be able to repair it :)

[quote name='Paul_C' post='775867' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:15 AM']my (previously unwritten) standard reply to all such questions, as a pro guitar repairer, is, unless it's a warranty issue, take it to a guitar repairer/ shop / (worst case) mate who has a degree of knowledge of such things

if there's a problem, then someone [b]who knows what they're doing[/b] should be able to repair it :)[/quote]

I don't see the harm in asking for advice first, why would I spend what could possibly be a relatively large amount of money for someone with the expertise to look at it when it could be something relatively simple? I know that these basses do suffer with a low output anyway (though from what I've heard others seem better), so someone might have some information on why that's the case and if I was to take it to a repairer, I might be able to give them a heads up and not take up as much time.

And for what it's worth, I work in a shop and do/help with simple repairs if possible before sending instruments off to an expert, so please don't assume that because I'm asking for help that I'm completely inexperienced.

If I do think that it's a problem that I can't deal with on my own, then I've been using this bass for about 8 years, I'll continue using it as it is, I just don't see the harm in trying to fix one of the few niggles I have with it.

I understand that you're a repairer, but this isn't like having an ill pet that should be rushed to the vet then money worried about later, I'm afraid. So I'd rather explore other options before deciding NOT to pay out for a professional to look at it because it works ok as it is.

Is it an active or passive bass? A passive is generally not going to be as loud as an active bass. Unless you try your bass side by side with another bass of same model, it will be difficult to tell if yours has a lower output than the rest.

If its active, I know this is stupidly obvious but have you tried changing the battery? Sorry, if there are obvious problems with the eq etc then its probably best to take it to a repair shop, if possible one with experience of Ibanez basses.

Also if it sounds great but just has a low output, couldn't you just crank the gain on the amp a bit? Amps in my experience only start breaking up or clipping when they are being driven hard/too hard. If the output is too low to even drive an amp properly then you might as well take to repair shop as there is clearly be something wrong with it.

[quote name='thodrik' post='775898' date='Mar 16 2010, 01:50 AM']Is it an active or passive bass? A passive is generally not going to be as loud as an active bass. Unless you try your bass side by side with another bass of same model, it will be difficult to tell if yours has a lower output than the rest.

If its active, I know this is stupidly obvious but have you tried changing the battery? Sorry, if there are obvious problems with the eq etc then its probably best to take it to a repair shop, if possible one with experience of Ibanez basses.

Also if it sounds great but just has a low output, couldn't you just crank the gain on the amp a bit? Amps in my experience only start breaking up or clipping when they are being driven hard/too hard. If the output is too low to even drive an amp properly then you might as well take to repair shop as there is clearly be something wrong with it.[/quote]

It's an active, as per the title. :) Yeah I have tried changing the battery, sorry, forgot to cross that off the checklist.

I do have to crank the amp compared to my other basses and in the studio they had problems getting a strong signal. I talked to someone else on here that was selling one recently and they said it was quiet but not that bad. Maybe it's just they haven't been in a situation to notice with it or something.

This may be a silly question, but when a SS amp starts breaking up, is it at a set point on the amp (e.g. always 5 o clock) or is it to do with the signal strength too? I'm pretty sure that one or two of my other basses can go through my amp and get louder without it breaking up. Is it because the input signal's stronger so the amp isn't working as hard to amplify it or should the amp start clipping at the same internal volume regardless of the input strength?

Like I said above, it has lasted me years, ironically I'm hopefully going to be getting a new bass this year, so it's quite late to think about doing something about this. If I hadn't had problems in recording with it recently, I wouldn't be questioning it so it'll do until I get something new in a few months. Just one of those things where you think "well if I can find an easy solution, I should go with it". :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful reply though.

I don't know if it helps but I recently bought an almost new Ged Lee Fender with a low output.

The problem was found to be a bad earth on the pickups.

You could say that the earth really moves now that's been sorted. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='775912' date='Mar 16 2010, 03:25 AM']It's an active, as per the title. :) Yeah I have tried changing the battery, sorry, forgot to cross that off the checklist.

I do have to crank the amp compared to my other basses and in the studio they had problems getting a strong signal. I talked to someone else on here that was selling one recently and they said it was quiet but not that bad. Maybe it's just they haven't been in a situation to notice with it or something.

This may be a silly question, but when a SS amp starts breaking up, is it at a set point on the amp (e.g. always 5 o clock) or is it to do with the signal strength too? I'm pretty sure that one or two of my other basses can go through my amp and get louder without it breaking up. Is it because the input signal's stronger so the amp isn't working as hard to amplify it or should the amp start clipping at the same internal volume regardless of the input strength?

Like I said above, it has lasted me years, ironically I'm hopefully going to be getting a new bass this year, so it's quite late to think about doing something about this. If I hadn't had problems in recording with it recently, I wouldn't be questioning it so it'll do until I get something new in a few months. Just one of those things where you think "well if I can find an easy solution, I should go with it". :rolleyes:

Thanks for the helpful reply though.[/quote]

My eyes weren't working last night, I totally missed the 'active' bit!

[quote name='thodrik' post='776139' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:12 PM']My eyes weren't working last night, I totally missed the 'active' bit![/quote]

hehe, no problem. :)

I don't know what pickups are in it, I'll see if I can find out later.

I don't think the grounding's too bad. Interesting thought though, I do have some problems with noise because it's not shielded (if I stand close to my amp or a TV). Is it possible that the fact that in the studio I was right next to their racks and the desk was on a different circuit to the live room (so they had grounding problems anyway) could've made the volume problem worse?

One thing you can have a look at is opening the control cavity and seeing if there's a trim pot (like a plastic screw) on the board that you can turn up. Otherwise you can check how far the distance is between the pickups and the strings. If the gap is too big, you'll lose output - Likewise, you'll have distortion if the strings are too close to the pickups.

Here's a quick guide...

PICKUP HEIGHT :

The distance from the pickup to the string makes a big difference. I normally set the bridge pickup to about 4-5mm and the neck pickup to about 6-7mm. This varies from model to model as some basses have pickups which have been made to take the extra string movement above the neck pickup into account. The closer the pickup is to the string the greater the output but this goes up exponentially so if you make the gap half as much the output can be up to ten times not just twice.

OTPJ :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='775864' date='Mar 16 2010, 12:05 AM']Just for the record, I've raised the pickups, I've looked for a gain screw on the preamp and I'd rather not use any effects in front of it because although it's lowish volume, it sounds great.[/quote]

I'll double check the pickup height just in case but I think it's pretty good.

Weird Chris, I've definitely heard other people mention low output from these. I would've thought Ibanez would be pretty consistent.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='776400' date='Mar 16 2010, 04:27 PM']There is definitely a problem there. I had a BTB405QM with Ibanez pickups in it and it had a very hot output - and sounded absolutely brilliant too![/quote]

Same with my BTB405, higher output than my other active bass...