Why become a member? ×

Audio interfaces

Owen

I teach at an FE college and we need to buy some new interfaces. The ones we have had so far have not really managed to stand up to the abuse our students hand out. All our Alesis ones have died or are dying. We have a bunch of Lexicon Omegas which have been OK-ish but we had to send 7 back to be repaired so they do not inspire confidence. We have M-audio combined keyboard/Audio interfaces which have been ok but sometimes fiddly.

We are looking for bombproof, idiot proof bus powered USB 2 audio interfaces. Price is an issue.

Any ideas?

I've heard about the Lexicons with issues before and M-Audio firewire devices being a PITA if they aren't plugged in to a Texas Instruments chipset. - Also issues with the USB devices in that we had to get get the USB drivers from a Vista OS to use on an XP PC! Nightmare!

The latest problems to hamper USB interface users is Windows 7. Poor ole Line 6 are having a bit of a nightmare with their USB interfaces. I think Boss has the odd problem too - but I understand they have W7 drivers out now.

All I would say, is do your homework first! Speaking of M-Audio though - I reckon any rack mountable interface will be a good idea as you'll be able to bolt the things in safely to a secure desk mount so they cant be bashed about.

• 1 month later...

If you aere running Mac have a look at Apogee stuff, they do two 'cheaper' model the 'One' and 'Duet'. I think the Duet may work on PC but the 'One' is Mac only.

I bought a Apogee one and am so impressed with its simplicity and quality.