Why become a member? ×

MIM Jazz or Vibe?

Gust0o

Finally, having bought house, car and wedding the wife has allowed me back my wallet

I was feeling relatively flush, so I dived into our local music house. I'd been flirting with their MIM Fender Jazz for some time. Could this be the day?

But... The Classic Vibe intervened. I'd struggle to smuggle a grand's worth of bass past the wife, but the £400-odd of the MIM is manageable; the £300 of the Vibe is genius!

It's s great player, loved it; loved them both. But I couldn't tell them apart.

At this rate I'll be keeping the money. I can't work it out.

Do you want my honest opinion? I would say if you are not bothered about what badge you get on the headstock then go for the Classic Vibe Jazz, it's got a lovely neck and a light weight yet resonant body, you would be saving a lot of money which you could invest in a set of "proper" pickups and electrics (pots & loom with capacitor) because the ones it comes with are below par.

this is what I did to mine,

See pics below:

[b]Original guts[/b]

[b]Replaced with Seymour Duncan Basslines Stacked humbuckers model STKJ1b & STKJ1n:[/b]

[b]plus a wiring kit from ebay as follows:[/b]
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAZZ-BASS-WIRING-KIT-HIGH-QUALITY_W0QQitemZ270534161395QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item3efd17b3f3"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAZZ-BASS-WIRING-KIT...=item3efd17b3f3[/url]

Now the bass plays and sounds way better than a MIM and I did try the real thing but decided to buy the CV instead.

Not a cv but I did own a squire VM jazz and it was great, in fact I ran the PA for the guy I sold it to last sat and it sounded great in the mix

I have a MIM pbass now as a gigging bass which is also great, but there is little in it when left std, again Logo is an issue and only you know your heart with regard to this