Why become a member? ×

New strings on new Jazz bass

HMX

So I just re-stringed by 70s Jazz for the first time. It sounds great.

Just one problem, whenever I play the A string open, there is a slight metally acoustic tone with it - from the bridge, I think. What could be the problem?

Whenever I fret on the string and play, it's fine, just the open string. The other strings are fine, and they're all the same height/action.

Thanks

[quote name='ped' post='768579' date='Mar 8 2010, 10:00 PM']It's probably the spring in the bridge, behind the saddle for the A string... take it of and give it a stretch or just give it a bit of a twiddle and it will sort the vibration out.

ped[/quote]
Thanks ped, I'll have a tinker.

Just an update here.

I took it into Mansons for a setup after putting the strings on. I went to collect it today and they said that there is upward bow in the neck and the truss rod is the tightest it can be - meaning major work or a new neck.

They told me to take it back to where I bought it from - under warranty. But hey, guess what, Reverb no longer exists!

They recommended that I pack the bass up, give it to them, they will send it to Fender who will put a new neck on and send it back.

Makes me wish I never got rid of my Spector or Precision. So gutted here. £450 I won't see for a couple of weeks at least.

Go to Maplin and get a small length of heat shrink tubing, cut 4 lenghts of tubing a little longer than the spring, remove each spring insert in a length of sleeve and then with a lighter get it to shrink over the spring cut off the excess. The spring will still... errr spring even with the rubber tubing around, only this time it will not be buzzing metal to metal no more.

[quote name='HMX' post='773862' date='Mar 13 2010, 08:30 PM']Just an update here.

I took it into Mansons for a setup after putting the strings on. I went to collect it today and they said that there is upward bow in the neck and the truss rod is the tightest it can be - meaning major work or a new neck.

They told me to take it back to where I bought it from - under warranty. But hey, guess what, Reverb no longer exists!

They recommended that I pack the bass up, give it to them, they will send it to Fender who will put a new neck on and send it back.

Makes me wish I never got rid of my Spector or Precision. So gutted here. £450 I won't see for a couple of weeks at least.[/quote]

SH|T!! That is a real downer of a bad news. So sorry to hear that. And I thought it was a simple matter of muting unwanted buzz from the bridge springs. I hope Fender will sort out your neck.

[quote name='HMX' post='773862' date='Mar 13 2010, 08:30 PM']Just an update here.

Makes me wish I never got rid of my Spector or Precision. So gutted here. £450 I won't see for a couple of weeks at least.[/quote]

Owww heck. Is yours a MIM 70s Jazz?

When did you get it from Reverb?

I got a bass from them and luckily it seems spot on, but at least Mansons are sorting it for you.

Cheers

Thanks guys, always thought it may have been something I did.

But I have never touched the truss rod, and only tinkered with the bridge.

Sure (hope) Fender will do a good job, I'll take it to Mansons on Tuesday for dispatch.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='773895' date='Mar 13 2010, 09:17 PM']Owww heck. Is yours a MIM 70s Jazz?

When did you get it from Reverb?

I got a bass from them and luckily it seems spot on, but at least Mansons are sorting it for you.

Cheers[/quote]
Yes, it is.

I got it late February sometime, and they went bust around 4th March. I got mine delivered from Edinburgh, as they didn't have any Standards in stock. Seen as though it was the last of the line (and I got it for £50 off), there may have been a known problem, you reckon?

[quote name='HMX' post='774181' date='Mar 14 2010, 11:24 AM']Yes, it is.

I got it late February sometime, and they went bust around 4th March. I got mine delivered from Edinburgh, as they didn't have any Standards in stock. Seen as though it was the last of the line (and I got it for £50 off), there may have been a known problem, you reckon?[/quote]

Hiya

Hmm, I know they had a huge sale with Fenders at some point a few weeks back, I presume to sell as much stock as possible to try and stop sliding into bankruptcy. I called just to enquire and it was ALL Fenders, everything Fender-related, so not just certain instruments with perhaps known problems. This was throughout all of their stores. I already anticipated problems with the chain if im honest. I called the Bass Centre and apparently the prices were cheaper than the stores actually buy them in for....which suggests serious financial problems.

I think you may have just been unlucky but Fender will HAVE to do something as you have a year (or 2) warranty.

I had a similar problem with a Fender guitar amp that had a problem with the speaker and Soundcontrol had gone bust. My local store agreed with Fender to repair it, and it needed one brand new speaker. Fender did pay for labour, postage, speaker, and the messing about for my local store So, in the end it went well :)

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='774316' date='Mar 14 2010, 02:25 PM']Hiya

Hmm, I know they had a huge sale with Fenders at some point a few weeks back, I presume to sell as much stock as possible to try and stop sliding into bankruptcy. I called just to enquire and it was ALL Fenders, everything Fender-related, so not just certain instruments with perhaps known problems. This was throughout all of their stores. I already anticipated problems with the chain if im honest. I called the Bass Centre and apparently the prices were cheaper than the stores actually buy them in for....which suggests serious financial problems.

I think you may have just been unlucky but Fender will HAVE to do something as you have a year (or 2) warranty.

I had a similar problem with a Fender guitar amp that had a problem with the speaker and Soundcontrol had gone bust. My local store agreed with Fender to repair it, and it needed one brand new speaker. Fender did pay for labour, postage, speaker, and the messing about for my local store So, in the end it went well :)[/quote]
Great stuff, that's given me some confidence.

Plus, Mansons will be handling it too and they're reputable. Hoping for the best :rolleyes:

Cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is (hopefully) my final update.

I got my bass back from Mansons the other day, it plays like a dream and cost me nothing in the end. Fender may have replaced the neck or done some serious work (I'm not actually sure).

Thanks for all your support :)

Carl