Why become a member? ×

new player

amishboy

Hi, I have just started playing (about 6 weeks) and am lucky enough to have a mate who is an absolute diva on the guitar ('78 Standard American Strat and Fender Bassman amp amongst a lot of others) and he has "shown me around" my bass (Ibanez Jet King in Sunburst) and my amp (Marshall B65) and we are jamming along quite nicely.
Green Onions, Hit the Road Jack, Cocaine and some improvised slow blues in E being our staple at the moment.

He is tabbing more stuff for me but I wanted to lighten his load by simply going to the bass tab sites on the net.
However, when I took a couple to him he explained that they were totally wrong in most cases.
Is there a really decent hot bass tab site out there that someone could reccomend?

We are mainly blues based, as can be seen from the above, so if there is a specific blues tab site thet would be great!!!

He is in the process of tabbing Steve Earles "My old friend the blues" at the moment so we do include Country Blues (Lightning Hopkins, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark & etc)

Any tips, tricks, tab sites etc gratefully accepted by this newbie!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Amishboy

[quote name='amishboy' post='766324' date='Mar 6 2010, 06:37 PM']Hi, I have just started playing (about 6 weeks) and am lucky enough to have a mate who is an absolute diva on the guitar ('78 Standard American Strat and Fender Bassman amp amongst a lot of others) and he has "shown me around" my bass (Ibanez Jet King in Sunburst) and my amp (Marshall B65) and we are jamming along quite nicely.
Green Onions, Hit the Road Jack, Cocaine and some improvised slow blues in E being our staple at the moment.

He is tabbing more stuff for me but I wanted to lighten his load by simply going to the bass tab sites on the net.
However, when I took a couple to him he explained that they were totally wrong in most cases.
Is there a really decent hot bass tab site out there that someone could reccomend?

We are mainly blues based, as can be seen from the above, so if there is a specific blues tab site thet would be great!!!

He is in the process of tabbing Steve Earles "My old friend the blues" at the moment so we do include Country Blues (Lightning Hopkins, Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clark & etc)

Any tips, tricks, tab sites etc gratefully accepted by this newbie!!!!!

Thanks in advance,

Amishboy[/quote]

Welcome Aboard,

Don't know of any blues-specific tab sites -I use [url="http://www.911tabs.com"]911 Tabs[/url] when I [i][b]need[/b][/i] one. "Need" is the word here I feel... I regard tabs as a "get out of jail card" for when you've got to nail somthing awkward at short notice, or you really can't figure out what is going on.
[b]Ears First[/b] then tabs if you're stuck. Also, a lot of tabs appear to be written by non-Bassists who seem to have some very odd ideas about fingering.

AlsoAlso... Blues is a very flexible genre. It doesn't have that many "set" bass lines, but does have a bucketload of little licks & phrases that you can nail together to join the dots [i]your[/i] way. Ears are better for this, trust me. Listen to loads of it, you'll find yourself picking up little bits here & there and your vocabulary will grow.

Some crucial/essential albums...

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - "Bluesbreakers" (1966) & "A Hard Road" (1967) - Eric Clapton's finest 40 minutes on the first & Peter Green on the second, John McVie on bass duties.

The Graham Bond Organisation - "The Sound of '66" & "There's A Bond Between Us" - Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker.
Atlantic Rhythm & Blues 1947-1974, Vol. 6: 1965-1967 - Part of an 8 CD set, this one has all the usual suspects including Mustang Sally, In the Midnight Hour, Knock on Wood etc etc. Mostly from the Stax studios - so that'll be Duck Dunn covered then.
The Beatles. Yes! They're what got me into music first off, specifically this early cut:

The Stones too, of course.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='767150' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:36 PM']Welcome Aboard,

Don't know of any blues-specific tab sites -I use [url="http://www.911tabs.com"]911 Tabs[/url] when I [i][b]need[/b][/i] one. "Need" is the word here I feel... I regard tabs as a "get out of jail card" for when you've got to nail somthing awkward at short notice, or you really can't figure out what is going on.
[b]Ears First[/b] then tabs if you're stuck. Also, a lot of tabs appear to be written by non-Bassists who seem to have some very odd ideas about fingering.

AlsoAlso... Blues is a very flexible genre. It doesn't have that many "set" bass lines, but does have a bucketload of little licks & phrases that you can nail together to join the dots [i]your[/i] way. Ears are better for this, trust me. Listen to loads of it, you'll find yourself picking up little bits here & there and your vocabulary will grow.

Pete.[/quote]
+1 to both Bloodaxe and your mate. Most tabs are usually inaccurate, even when the transcriber insists it's spot on and it's rated at 5 stars, so you're still left with using your own ears to correct the things. Software like Best Practice or the Amazing Slow Downer are a godsend for figuring out the basslines, allowing you to slow down the songs whilst keeping the pitch and loop sections of the song you're working on. FWIW I use www.bassmasta.net for tabs, but they're all much the same as they all crib tabs off each other.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='767150' date='Mar 7 2010, 06:36 PM']Welcome Aboard,

AlsoAlso... Blues is a very flexible genre. It doesn't have that many "set" bass lines, but does have a bucketload of little licks & phrases that you can nail together to join the dots [i]your[/i] way. Ears are better for this, trust me. Listen to loads of it, you'll find yourself picking up little bits here & there and your vocabulary will grow.[/quote]

+ 1 this is very true!
I also find [url="http://http://www.bassmasta.net/"]Bass Masta[/url] is a good tab site if your stuck, but as said you need to listen as well.