Why become a member? ×

Custom Czech 5-string bass

27 frets

Hi
Whilst in Prague 3 years ago, I came across this in a music shop.

I couldn't resist it at 17250 Czech crowns, roughly £430 then (it would be a lot more now the exchange rate has sunk).

The body contouring (1 piece ash) and the maple/ebony neck make this a really unusual bass - unless any of you know differently!

It was apparently made by for his own use by someone who normally makes moulded instrument cases (this came in one).

It has Gotoh machines, Kent Armstrong pickups and 3 band eq. 34" scale.

The bass originally had 24 frets, but Mike Walsh (Zoot Basses) added the extra 3 frets to complete the fingerboard and did a full set-up.

Final picture is with my DB (also Czech built) - for size comparison.

Edited by 27 frets

Yeah, I like that. Very nice contemorary design and that body contouring adds that little bit more quirkiness.
I'm assuming the contouring doesn't extend to the back side, but just to complete the picture, how about a couple of rear body/neck shots, if poss? :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='765481' date='Mar 5 2010, 06:46 PM']Simple design but very nice curves on the body. Looks very comfy to play.

Never played a 27 fretter before! One for the list of things to do :-)[/quote]
Thanks - the body contouring works quite well, as does the neck profile, which is quite wide and flat. The bottom cutaway enables access to the top frets, and the the long top horn helps with balance for the relatively small (but thick in places) body.
Other bases, like my Precision, now feel very chunky by comparison.

[quote name='Stingray5' post='765492' date='Mar 5 2010, 06:59 PM']Yeah, I like that. Very nice contemorary design and that body contouring adds that little bit more quirkiness.
I'm assuming the contouring doesn't extend to the back side, but just to complete the picture, how about a couple of rear body/neck shots, if poss? :)[/quote]
The back of the body is pretty flat, and the neck join could really be decribed as 'functional' - just 4 inset woodscrews (but I'm the only one that usually sees that). Ditto for control cavity cover, and lack of screening inside - no problems with hum though.
See pic, and also here's how it was, with case prior to fret addition.

Edited by 27 frets

[quote name='27 frets' post='765500' date='Mar 5 2010, 07:10 PM']The back of the body is pretty flat, and the neck join could really be decribed as 'functional' - just 4 inset woodscrews (but I'm the only one that usually sees that). Ditto for control cavity cover, and lack of screening inside - no problems with hum though.
See pic, and also here's how it was, with case prior to fret addition.[/quote]
Thanks for the extra pics, 27f.
I must admit I might not normally opt for the extra frets but in this case, seeing the original 24 fret neck, I'd sooner have them than not.
Either way, still a cool looking bass. :)

[quote name='Bassman68' post='765555' date='Mar 5 2010, 08:03 PM']I like it & for [b]that[/b] price it was an absolute steal.
I would prefer some smaller machine heads & different control knobs but that's just personal choice...[/quote]

It's not the machines that are big, as the headstock being small - see pics with my 1970s Fender below

The chrome knobs fit with the other hardware - two larger for volume and pan, three slightly small for treble/mid/bass

[quote name='BigRedX' post='765690' date='Mar 5 2010, 10:36 PM']That looks pretty cool, love the contouring.

For really extreme contoured bodies have a look at the basses of [url="http://www.lakidwell.com/index.htm"]L A Kidwell[/url][/quote]
That Kidwell bass looks really interesting!

[quote name='27 frets' post='765826' date='Mar 6 2010, 08:26 AM']It's not the machines that are big, as the headstock being small - see pics with my 1970s Fender below

The chrome knobs fit with the other hardware - two larger for volume and pan, three slightly small for treble/mid/bass[/quote]

It looks realy elegant next to the clunky Fender.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='766034' date='Mar 6 2010, 01:51 PM']That is one awesome looking bass.[/quote]
Thanks
It's been said that one person's custom bass may not another person's choice, but this one is very easy on the eye.

And for the Big Red X comments too "It looks realy elegant next to the clunky Fender." - shame really, but I agree,

I'm very fond of the Precision though, which has a semi-translucent white body (not a common colour), through whiich you can see the ash grain almost like a zebra stripe, and the white/black effect works with the fretless ebony fingerboard.

Edited by 27 frets

[quote name='27 frets' post='766342' date='Mar 6 2010, 06:57 PM']I'm very fond of the Precision though, which has a semi-translucent white body (not a common colour), through whiich you can see the ash grain almost like a zebra stripe, and the white/black effect works with the fretless ebony fingerboard.[/quote]
I helped out at my local musical instrument emporium over the summer at the end of the 70s before going off to university and it seemed that every other Fender that came into the shop during this period was that weird see-through white colour (and most of the others were sh*t brown). Added to the fact that nearly all of them needed serious work doing to them to make them fit for sale compounded the "we couldn't be bothered to finish this off properly" vibe of the colour.

Compared with the instruments that were coming in at the same time from Ibanez and Aria Pro II, which were virtually flawless in every respect and as a consequence far more elegant looking, is it any wonder that I don't really hold Fenders in very high regard.