Why become a member? ×

Building a 1x12 advice

pandathe3

Hi all!

I've decided to make my own 1x12 for practice and small gigs. This is the first time I've wanted to do something like this.

For small cabs we all want the same goals: Small/Light/Portable, but is still able to put out some nice big sounding bass to cut past a drum kit without pushing it to far at all.

My plan is as follows: 1x12 speaker (Not sure about tweeter)
8Ohms/400watts
FR: will be decided along with speaker choice
Ported
Its going to be around '20 Inches wide x 18 Inches deep' for my rack to fit on top.
The back panel only really needs to have a single speakon connector (Also a possible tweeter control)

I've been researching and the Eminence lites look interesting. Especially the Kappas. I've heard alot of good things about Avatar also. I'm still unsure about the type of wood to use for my build. MDF? But, i think the biggest part i'm stuck on is the design of the porting to match the shape and size of my cabinet. There are alot of different porting variation (GenzBenz: Cross porting/Eden: Side porting/Tube porting) The one i am most interested however is side porting. Shall i have a tweeter??

I just want a push in the general direction. Cheers

Edited by pandathe3

• 2 weeks later...

I build a lot of speakers but the best sounding one for bass was an accident in that it was built for PA and used when I was between rigs. The drive unit was/is a Beyma SM212 350W, 98dB sensitivity 45-6000Hz at -6dB. I chose it as it has an excellent excursion figure due to a long voice coil (xmax is 7mm) so it won't run out of bass at high levels.

It has a cast chassis and looks to be well made, so far utterly reliable after two years. Available from Blue Aran.

If you want the cabinet dimensions I could send them.

[quote name='Phil Starr' post='778385' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:51 AM']The drive unit was/is a Beyma SM212 350W, 98dB sensitivity 45-6000Hz at -6dB. I chose it as it has an excellent excursion figure due to a long voice coil (xmax is 7mm) so it won't run out of bass at high levels.[/quote]

I've not seen that one before. It looks really good for the money.