Why become a member? ×

1 Buzzing fret on 1 string

Sibob

Hurrow!

I've just taken my second Drop C bass back to standard tuning after a number of years, and while I'm happy with the setup (ie no buzzes or rattles anywhere else, neck is basically straight with just that tiny bit of relief that Jerzy Drozd suggests lol), there is one note that is buzzing horribley.
It's the High G# on the G string (13th Fret), notes either side are fine, and on different strings on the same fret, but that one note is yuk, buzzy and dead.
Is it a funky part of the fret that needs attention perhaps? It doesn't look particulaly knackered, no more than the other frets. I can't see that it's lifting from the fretboard or anything......

Any ideas?

Cheers
Si

I had that on a 6-string I owned, 13th fret on the C only. I sighted down the treble side of the neck and there was a slight dip in the fingerboard. Thus the fret was fine but lots of buzz. The other strings weren't affected as the dip was on the edge of the board. A fret dress, taking the frets down above that fret (ie from the 13th to the end of the board) might help. It's unlikely to be a loose fret as the other strings aren't buzzing.

[quote name='Sibob' post='765096' date='Mar 5 2010, 01:30 PM']Hurrow!

I've just taken my second Drop C bass back to standard tuning after a number of years, and while I'm happy with the setup (ie no buzzes or rattles anywhere else, neck is basically straight with just that tiny bit of relief that Jerzy Drozd suggests lol), there is one note that is buzzing horribley.
It's the High G# on the G string (13th Fret), notes either side are fine, and on different strings on the same fret, but that one note is yuk, buzzy and dead.
Is it a funky part of the fret that needs attention perhaps? It doesn't look particulaly knackered, no more than the other frets. I can't see that it's lifting from the fretboard or anything......

Any ideas?

Cheers
Si[/quote]
Hi Si, Have you lifted the G string around 13th fret & run your finger along the underside?
Cheers,
John

[quote name='KiOgon' post='765135' date='Mar 5 2010, 01:59 PM']Hi Si, Have you lifted the G string around 13th fret & run your finger along the underside?
Cheers,
John[/quote]

Cheers for the ideas guys!
John, you think it might be a manky string?. They're new, although cheap (not Newtones), so I'd hope not lol.

I'll try having a closer look to see if there's any frets higher than others etc, it's my OLP Thingray bass, so a bit of a frankenstein/project, so I don't mind having a go at 'dressing' the fret myself :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='765146' date='Mar 5 2010, 02:04 PM']Cheers for the ideas guys!
John, you think it might be a manky string?. They're new, although cheap (not Newtones), so I'd hope not lol.

I'll try having a closer look to see if there's any frets higher than others etc, it's my OLP Thingray bass, so a bit of a frankenstein/project, so I don't mind having a go at 'dressing' the fret myself :)

Si[/quote]
Was thinking if you'd changed the tuning, you might be bringing into use an area of string that was previously flattened but gone un-noticed until the change in tension. Maybe not so if they're new though.