Why become a member? ×

Greetings from Somerset

NoisyJules

Hi
Just joined up- based (sic) in Somerset, play mainly double bass these days. Been bassing for nearly 25 years (eek)- on a Kramer ali-neck for most of that time, but the double bass has brought a new lease of life, and a range of music closer to my heart, ie acoustic. My old man was a double bassist too, though he played classical- I'm more about folk (but with a smidgeon of metal thrown in to confuse the issue.)
Bluegrass is the main thing these days- a constant challenge to keep it interesting and not just root'n'5. Sometimes the rest of the band tell me to stop being so 'weird' (ie interesting :) ) Oh- recently built teachest-style bass out of half an old copper hot water tank!

Gear....

Double/doghouse/uprights-
Romainian ply bass
Chinese solid
Old English in repair.

Guitars-
Kramer ali-neck
Ricky 4003 black (mmm)
Freshman acoustic
a couple of randoms

LX-
Fishman pre-amp
GK microbass

All sorts of other bits in the collection from years of junk accretion, same as all of you I expect!

Cheers!

Jules

Edited by NoisyJules

oh
I took a pic of the Kramer, but can't seem to upload. Does it have to go to an external site? Flickr/photobucket etc?
Got a gig to go to- I'll try again later.

The Kramer is a Stagemaster stansard in (now very off-)white. Has had Reflex Red-Dot pickups added by previous owner (a mate) which are a drastic improvement over the originals.
I've had it for 20 odd years.

[quote name='NoisyJules' post='766065' date='Mar 6 2010, 02:16 PM']oh
I took a pic of the Kramer, but can't seem to upload. Does it have to go to an external site? Flickr/photobucket etc?
Got a gig to go to- I'll try again later.

The Kramer is a Stagemaster stansard in (now very off-)white. Has had Reflex Red-Dot pickups added by previous owner (a mate) which are a drastic improvement over the originals.
I've had it for 20 odd years.[/quote]

Greetings from an ex-Tauntonian...

I'm rather intrigued by this beastie's past. A mate of mine used to own one & they're not exactly ten-a-penny. The dates might just fit too. Does the name Chris Foden ring any bells?

You should be able to attach pics drec'ly - when you're posting a new message, just below the message window is a blue box that runs full-width. To the right of this ar a couple of buttons that say "Browse" & "UPLOAD". I've never used it myself (Photobucket for me), but let's see...

... Ahhh... It does work, but the attachment doen't show "in line" in the message body when you're editing (unlike the tags you'd use for linking to Photobucket) nor does it show when you hit "preview post" - you have to wait until you commit to the post before you see it.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe