Why become a member? ×

Rig Change??

farmer61

I have a whole raft of Trace gear that I think is superb apart from the weight of the stuff. I am seriously considering looking at the lighter weight Mark Bass gear.

I currently gig an AH500 into a 4 x 10 for smaller gigs and 4 x 10 with a 1 x 15 for larger gigs.

In terms of Mark Bass what would the equivalent gear in their range be and are there any thoughts on price comparison and tone.

I would need to sell to buy or exchange upwards.

Thx

[quote name='farmer61' post='763109' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:38 PM']I have a whole raft of Trace gear that I think is superb apart from the weight of the stuff. I am seriously considering looking at the lighter weight Mark Bass gear.

I currently gig an AH500 into a 4 x 10 for smaller gigs and 4 x 10 with a 1 x 15 for larger gigs.

In terms of Mark Bass what would the equivalent gear in their range be and are there any thoughts on price comparison and tone.

Thx[/quote]

Lovin the tone I get from my LM3 and Stingray/P Bass. Had the front ported 4x10 cab, nice light weight (for a 4x10), would not say it shone, but received good comments about it.

The more powerful 800 watt heads do sound different from the smaller 500 watt heads tho!

Something like a LM2 or LM3 (both 500 watts) paired up with front ported 4x10 & 1x15 STDhf cabs would be equivalent BUT will sound different.
Markbass has less of a 'signature' sound than your Trace gear, a lot more 'transparent' sounding but in a musical way.
You can still get that Trace pre-shape sound with the MB VPF filter control, pretty much maxed out.
I found when i changed to MB gear that all my basses sounded different. Not in a weired way, just they sounded almost DI'd, very natural (if that makes sense?) but then again i had been using an Eden rig for 8 years & had probably got used to that sound.
You'll certainly notice the difference in weight, I love my stack & don't groan at the prospect of stairs at gigs, these days!

[quote name='Bassman68' post='763139' date='Mar 3 2010, 05:09 PM']Something like a LM2 or LM3 (both 500 watts) paired up with front ported 4x10 & 1x15 STDhf cabs would be equivalent BUT will sound different.
Markbass has less of a 'signature' sound than your Trace gear, a lot more 'transparent' sounding but in a musical way.
You can still get that Trace pre-shape sound with the MB VPF filter control, pretty much maxed out.
I found when i changed to MB gear that all my basses sounded different. Not in a weired way, just they sounded almost DI'd, very natural (if that makes sense?) but then again i had been using an Eden rig for 8 years & had probably got used to that sound.
You'll certainly notice the difference in weight, I love my stack & don't groan at the prospect of stairs at gigs, these days![/quote]

Thanks...

What about the price of this stuff?

[quote name='Bassman68' post='763139' date='Mar 3 2010, 05:09 PM']Markbass has less of a 'signature' sound than your Trace gear, a lot more 'transparent' sounding but in a musical way.[/quote]

I found that when changing to a Little Mark2.
I always thought MB Amps to be very transparent until I tried an EA iAmp800 and then a TC Electronics Rebelhead. Now there's transparent. Both make the Little Mark 2 sound quite coloured.
Also found MB Cabs to be slightly "warm" as well.

I love my MarkBass LM2 but didnt like their cabs- so I bought a couple of Schroeders- just one 1212L will be the equivalent of your 4X10- they are that loud and punchy. I used to be a trace guy myself for years and the thought of making one trip into a gig was a bit alien at first. ( cab in one hand-bass over back in gig bag- wheeling a flight bag on wheels with amp in- leads etc )

soon got used to it!

Bob

[quote name='farmer61' post='763109' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:38 PM']I have a whole raft of Trace gear that I think is superb apart from the weight of the stuff. I am seriously considering looking at the lighter weight Mark Bass gear.

Thx[/quote]

I've recently gone from a similar rig to yours (Trace Elliott AH400SMX with Mesa Boogie 2x10 & 1x15 cabs) to a Mark Bass and Bergantino setup (see my signature). I bought the 500w MoMark chassis and this has got plenty of headroom to spare, even on larger gigs without needing to go through the PA. To be honest I haven't missed any of the bells and whistles that the AH400SMX had because the MoMark does what I want it to do very well - provide a good (IMV) uncoloured tone that I like that's easy to change on the fly if needed. The fact that the amp is light in weight is a bonus as it wasn't my main consideration for changing.

Edited by gazhowe

Go for a Ashdown Little Giant 1000 and a USA Ashdown 4x10. Under grand for the set and the cab is super light. I pulled my back out slightly on my other Ashdown and I can carry my 4x10 with one hand. Sound wise, I don't even need to change any settings and it's perfect. Recently got the combo and i've played about 10 gig with them on big and smalls stages. I'm never going back!

Chris

Edited by Basska